Bell hole crack?

Mart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bought an old K Istanbul yesterday and it has a crack at the bell hole. Should I just leave it and keep a close eye on it, or drill at the end of the crack. Crack in question.

20130920_054124_resized.jpg

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I'm for keeping a close eye on it for a time before any sort of intervention. It may be stable. You can mark the end of it with a sharpie so you have a record of exactly where it ends. Just a small dot will do.

I believe Joe (JDA) is a fan of JBWeld for this sort of thing. Calling Joe...

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yea that didn't work out- may have not prepped the surface (well enough)

Is that cymbal a Hi hat? (used as hi hat). I have one on the bottom (or top) like that going on a couple years and crosses my mind to do something ( 3/32" bit) about it.
However that could stop the crack but make it weaker ( flap -side to either side of the drill hole)
Leaving it be for now..

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
JDA said:
Yea that didn't work out- may have not prepped the surface (well enough)

Is that cymbal a Hi hat? (used as hi hat). I have one on the bottom (or top) like that going on a couple years and crosses my mind to do something ( 3/32" bit) about it.
However that could stop the crack but make it weaker ( flap -side to either side of the drill hole)
Leaving it be for now..
Looks like his $200 20" from the other thread to me.

So the JBWeld didn't create a long term fix? Sorry to hear that. It sounded promising.

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
I have a 16" A. Zildjian thin crash from the 70's that had a couple cracks and a chunk out of the hole. I used PC-7(or maybe it was JB Weld) to attach a thin stainless steel fender washer to the underside. Did it about 5 years and a couple hundred gigs ago and it's still holding up. I think I roughed up the surfaces with some emery cloth and then cleaned them with acetone to make sure there was no oil. I put the washer on with a bit of a twisting motion to work the epoxy into the surfaces.

When it was hard(about a day later) I chipped off the epoxy that squeezed out. The repair doesn't look too bad, you can't even see it when it's on the stand. For the record, I don't use top felts or otherwise restrict the swing of my cymbals. YMMV.

jim

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
same repair as Jim's only I hammer a piece from a donor cymbal to fit and laminate it to the underside.

again same deal as Jim's, these cymbals have been played a TON with NO mercy, and no additional cracking

slideshow, click to watch
http://s110.photobucket.com/user/premierplayer-ch/media/CymBat-USA/13d25505.pbw.html?sort=3&o=55

here's a 70's A, same repair. I've done this same repair for several DFOers, maybe someone will chime in and tell us how theirs is holding up.

and then there's the grommet option

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
i really like the donor cymbal idea :hello1:

i'm almost thinking preventive maintenence before cracking certain vulnerable pies

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread as I turned down some cymbals due to bell hole cracks today. One was an older K, 18" I think, and one a 20" 602. That were pretty bad but I really should have checked them out better. I was pretty bummed because I'd driven an hour relying on the fact that he said the Paiste was not cracked...
Anyway, I'm wondering now what resale they could have if manageable.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whose the guy that (arc?)welds cracks by using the B20 from the cymbal he's actually fixing?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
hmmmmmm Jake

said he prefers 'lathe' line crack vs. edge-inwards- cracks
many cymbal since hmmm Jake has been doing this, show up on reverb and ebay, so,,,jake must be busy
have to look close to see the repair
he doesn't "add material" he's "just" fusing (what is already there) ..which is pretty wonderful. Watch the movie has a very hi-tech machine.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this 18" trans stamp sizzler (1575 gm). Like other bell cracks and key holers, I play opposite the damage and monitor them periodically. I've yet to see any cracks get worse. I don't hammer on bells either. This is a whopper of a key hole - worst I've owned. No effect on the sound though. I play light though.
IMG_20190623_140452.jpg

tillerva

Reaction score
He doesn't have them pictured. You'd just have to contact him.

Reactions: JDA

tillerva

Reaction score
I want to say 20". I don't know the stamps well enough to say. He's very friendly and will you send whatever pictures you'd want. I really should've looked more closely but like I said I was pretty bummed at the time about the 602 and I need more projects like another hole (cracked?) in my head

Latest posts