Belt/pulley replacement on a Musser vibraphone?

garysym

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Musser One-Niter vibraphone which I bought new in 1976. I've got a replacement pulley/belt for the variable speed motor, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to replace it. I can't find any help online. There are a couple sites about vibes, but they don't respond. Musser doesn't seem to have any lit about it. And, It looks a bit tricky to do, actually.

Any vibes people out there who might have an idea? I kinda miss not using the "vibrato" on certain songs.

Thanks,
Gary

garysym

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I left an e mail on Musser's Facebook page, and they haven't responded, either. What's a percussive-minded individual to do? I'm not not too mechanically inclined, so w/out some instructions I'm liable to screw it up...

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try Gilberto Serna at http://centurymallet.com/

Also: http://www.thevibe.net/smf/index.php/

You have the two pulleys on the rotating fans, right? But you're missing the motor pulley?

Isn't there a set screw on the new pulley?

Is there not enough room to slide the new pulley on? If that's the problem, I guess you'll have to loosen the motor...

I've heard of guys not using the motor pulley, just putting the belt on the shaft. That'l give lower speeds.

garysym

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, KB.

This model has a single belt that runs off the motor wheel to each of the resonator wheels. The motor is very tight to the frame and there isn't much room in the slot where the belt is located, so there's no way to slip the old belt off and slip the new one on without most likely removing the motor and it's drive shaft. It doesn't look easy to me.

I'll try century mallet.

Gary

garysym

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fixed! I talked to Gilberto at Century, he talked me through the install and it was a piece of cake! The vibes sound all vibe-like again!

Thanks for the recommendation, KB!

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great!

Glad it worked out.

I love playing ballads with the motor going very slowly...

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fixed! I talked to Gilberto at Century, he talked me through the install and it was a piece of cake! The vibes sound all vibe-like again!

you know who this guy is don't you? he has been in the same building doing his thing since the 50's!! it is like talking to henry ford about building cars. always at work and always helpful. glad you got the right guy.

garysym

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

you know who this guy is don't you? he has been in the same building doing his thing since the 50's!! it is like talking to henry ford about building cars. always at work and always helpful. glad you got the right guy.
Yeah, he mentioned he's worked on hundreds of my very model of model vibes. I felt immediately comfortable talking to this gentleman– he obviously knew everything about mallet instruments!.

And now I'll be using the vibes with a medium slow speed on the vibrato to match the tempo on "This Masquerade".

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gilberto helped me get my Deagan Commander vibes up and running. He's the man.. I wouldn't put him at the level of Henry Ford but he was working for Deagan when they closed the factory, and he bought the building and has all the parts, and he's often the guy orchestras have flown to their locations to tune mallet instruments. It is really great to be able to talk to someone like that on the phone. I only talked with him a couple of times but that was all I needed to, replaced belts, and a pulley disc.. He gave me some instructions about cleaning them without ruining their tune, etc.

BostonBeans

Reaction score

Hi Gary. I have the exact same problem. Can you explain how it’s done. Century phone line is full. Do I left an email
Msg.

Latest posts