Ben White

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To all,

I'd like to offer a kudos to and to being a big fan of Ben White over at mycymbal.com. Ben does most of the cymbal demos for Memphis Drum Shop and his range of grooves and chops are incredible! No matter the cymbal style or brand Ben always seems to play the exact groove with style sensitivity and numance to really showcase that partuicular cymbal, from bashing heavy metal to solid funk to soft laid back jazz; I've learned a lot from his demos. He's a great young player and if you haven't heard or seen him on mycymbal.com, do check him out. Merry Christmas
Regards
Don

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree. Some of the players on that site seem a little more into showing off chops than demoing the particular cymbal. Not going to name names, but one guy in particular seems to forget which cymbal he's even supposed to be showcasing and just goes off on a bit of a wankfest. Not Ben, though--I like him, Tom Lenardo, and George Sluppick.

noahJT

prone to DFO-UI
Reaction score
I was soooooo bummed when I was in Memphis this past January and neither Tom nor Ben were working the day I visited!

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like Ben, but I actually am a huge fan of George Sluppick, the guy who was doing the videos before Ben. That guy grooved his ass off! Loved to hear him play.

ChrisSpencer

Reaction score
George, Tom, and Ben are the BOMB! Excellent players and salesmen! I recall seeing George's band's album featured in a DRUM! magazine several months back. I still haven't had the opportunity to visit the shop, but I'll be sure to call ahead and see if I can jam with one of them when I do!

drumedge

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I feel as though I know Ben personally because of all the cymbal clips that I have listened to in the last couple of months! He does a great job and like others, I too enjoy Sluppick. That cat is greasy :icon_smile:

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
Ben is a killer drummer. Such a great left hand. High skill level. Can someone please tell my what that pinkish drum kit is he plays in the youtube videos? My god is sounds so good! I'm guessing Yamaha something or other.

Z

zenstat

& You Dont Stop said:
Ben is a killer drummer. Such a great left hand. High skill level. Can someone please tell my what that pinkish drum kit is he plays in the youtube videos? My god is sounds so good! I'm guessing Yamaha something or other.
I think it is a Maple Custom (before the Absolute series) but I'm not 100% sure. The pinkish hue is due to the light balance, I believe. But they may have changed kits over the years. I'm sure you could email them and ask.

Yes mycymbal has done us all an excellent service with their good players and recordings. It has added new meaning to the phrase "this exact cymbal". :happy11:

It is especially great for those of us who live in far away places at the end of the supply chain. Three cheers for the web and mycymbal. :hello1:

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was a big fan of George and the skinny dude that always wore the jacket. It seems like Ben has chops and groove for days but there's just something about the way he hits the drum that irks me. I can't put my finger on it.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I miss George on mycymbal.com. I got to see him live with Chris Robinson Brotherhood on a vintage Rogers kit. Good groove.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I enjoy Ben's playing also.

I will have to say that Pee Wee Jackson is the most impressive player I've seen from Memphis Drum Shop - monster talent.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've said this before. I sometimes view those Memphis Drum Shop videos just to hear those guys talk. Helps me relax.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"...and you can get this EXACT cymbal only ay mycymbal.com"

I must have heard that phrase about 1,000 times by now!

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
zenghost said:
I enjoy Ben's playing also.

I will have to say that Pee Wee Jackson is the most impressive player I've seen from Memphis Drum Shop - monster talent.
I agree with you about pee-wee, though I feel like when he gets cooking he tends to forget which cymbal he is demoing and might not hit it for like 30 seconds.

phfreq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Doosh said:
I'm often lying in bed watching those videos on the Kindle and my wife (looking for attention) will chime in "And you can only get this set of titties at My Emily.com"
Ha ha ha.. Gotta love your wife for her sense of humor.. :)

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Doosh said:
I'm often lying in bed watching those videos on the Kindle and my wife (looking for attention) will chime in "And you can only get this set of titties at My Emily.com"
LMFAO!!!

Do we have an award for post of the year? HaHaHa!

1up2dn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Doosh said:
video or it didn't happen...

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
1up2dn said:
video or it didn't happen...

Edited for taste

Latest posts