Bent P-83 Lever - Repairable? And Acrolite Restoration?

cericd

Reaction score
I purchased a 1967 Acrolite and didn't notice the bent lever on the strainer. The strainer moves nice and smoothly and the bend doesn't seem to affect any moving parts but I would like to know if it is possible to straighten it. The cost of buying a replacement P-83 looks to be pretty expensive if I can even find one that's nice and shiny and not pitted. I've thought of ways to straighten it if I take it off the drum but I don't know how brittle this metal is. Any suggestions on how to do it successfully or where to get a replacement lever would be greatly appreciated. Also, should there be washers between the P-83 and the outside of the shell as shown in the close-ups of the P-83?

I am planning to restore this drum a bit. Perhaps clean up and rehab is a better term. Is there a way to tell if the tension bolts and hoops are original?

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Should be an easy fix with a pair of bottle nosed pliers. I'd put a piece of masking tape either around the throw handle or stick a piece on both sides of the pliers so you don't scratch the handle or get the imprint of the scored gripper pattern (what's that called???) on your handle.....hold it by the base of the bend and SLOWLY bend back. I'd get it as straight as possible, don't go for perfect, and it will fix the "problem" significantly.....do at your own risk......

As for replacing the part, the front sliding part of the P83 comes off after you unscrew the bolt - you could just buy a new P85 for like $25, then mount that, then unscrew the front sliding part of that and swap it for your P83 front.

BTW, if you do that and want to sell the bent one and new P85 sliding part, PM me.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes the washers should be between the shell and throw off. Both of my 60's Acro's have the washers, they almost look to be brass. Hoops and t-rods hard to say. If all the t-rods are the same length and style most likely original. Hoops, post some close up pix of the ears and hopefully someone on DFO can help.Great snare BTW.
Coy in Idaho

cericd

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I finally had time to take the throw-off apart and do the straightening. I should have taken pics of my handywork prior to reinstallation but I put it back on to see if it functioned smoothly and it did so there it stayed. It turned out better than I expected and am quite happy with it so far.

Attachments

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice job on that.
Great shape and great snare.
Love the acro's.
Most of them are in nice shape because they came in cases and many students just never took them out of them.

Wayne

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know about the P83, but the P85 has washer clips that easily come off so you are just dealing with that part of the throw which would make it easier to bend versus the arm on the entire unit.... but it works and looks good so problem solved!

cericd

Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
I don't know about the P83, but the P85 has washer clips that easily come off so you are just dealing with that part of the throw which would make it easier to bend versus the arm on the entire unit.... but it works and looks good so problem solved!
Yep, the P83 has those same clips holding it together. I took it apart so I was just dealing with the bent throw-off lever. I didn't want to take the chance of bending another part whilst trying to straighten the one. From what I've found online, the lever for the P83 and P85 are the same part. Although, some say the the ones on the newer P85's are made of thinner stock which leads to them being even more prone to accidental bending.

drums147

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
cericd said:
Yep, the P83 has those same clips holding it together. I took it apart so I was just dealing with the bent throw-off lever. I didn't want to take the chance of bending another part whilst trying to straighten the one. From what I've found online, the lever for the P83 and P85 are the same part. Although, some say the the ones on the newer P85's are made of thinner stock which leads to them being even more prone to accidental bending.
The lever is not the same. In the 70's Ludwig extended the throw-off lever by about an inch, so it was almost even with the top of the drum hoop. Yes, you can switch them, but as soon as a Ludwig "expert" looks at it they will know the drum is no longer original. You will destroy the value of the drum. NAD

Latest posts