Bent/Warped Cymbal repair: Anyone tried this???

Old Dog

Reaction score
I'm considering a used K, has a bend or warped area. Just curious if anyone has tried this on a cymbal.

mbettis

Reaction score
Pretty sure that they were just demonstrating how to flip a thin cymbal back into the regular shape once it has been inverted. I could see that the edge bend in that cymbal was still there.

Matt

Old Dog

Reaction score
She inverts it after showing the warp/bend, then flips it back the other way. The bend/warp seems considerable less after.

mbettis

Reaction score
I think it's just the camera angle that makes it look less. But, I could be wrong. Give it a shot and report back?

Matt

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck fixing crash edge bends using a wooden headed hammer with a ride cymbal as an anvil.
Invert the ride & place it on a mattress or other soft surface. Put a towel on it & then the crash. Hammer out as much as you can of the bend, then pop the bent cymbal inside out & do it again. A couple times back & forth should get most of it..
Luck!

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I wonder if flipping a cymbal back and forth like that a few times could fatigue the metal surrounding the bell and slightly alter the sound?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think inverting the cymbal back and forth would do little to correct a warp or bent area. Why would it? And certainly shouldn't affect anything near the edge as the cymbal flexes inwards more. I've gotten some inverted cymbals before and flipped them back to normal over an upholstered arm chair. Though do that too many times and maybe you end up with a crack. Unless such a wave or bend is egregious, it is probably not altering the sound much at all. I've tried rubber hammers and other means to take out bends including hand and thumb pressure....but it's never close to 100% successfull. A couple of padded clamps or vice grips could slowly help reduce the size of a bend or wave. You always run the risk of making it worse.

Last edited:

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Inverting a cymbal does change the pitch. Usually about 1/4 of a tone down. It basically stretches the bronze. Do that enough times and you're asking for a crack. The older the cymbal the more likely there will be problems. Bronze continues to solidify more and more over the years, pretty much forever. The longer it goes the more brittle it becomes. Look at it in 100 years and it becomes very obvious. I have bronze instruments living well older than 100 years, and you can see crystals clear as day. Seen them break too.

Last edited:

Old Dog

Reaction score
Awesome comments guys. Thanks. I haven't actually purchased the cymbal yet. I wanted to know some options. Someone on a different site suggested a nylon hammer. So, I may try that route.

As far as the sound, it doesn't seem effected or wavy or weird.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
Interesting..
I've inverted & returned to shape quite a few cymbals (including rides) and personally have never experienced a change in pitch. I have found some to sound more "open" afterward. Best of luck & please be careful!

Old Dog

Reaction score
I opted for a different cymbal. Good luck to those that may try this inversion process.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know about that, but I bought a Zildjian ride that was "broken" - somehow, it got inverted when shipped so the seller sold it. I got it, put it on my couch, aligned my butt and crashed down on it! It "snapped" back into place and was a like new K ride again.......and I sold it.

The cymbal here looks thin and low end and it may not make a sound difference anyway......

Latest posts