Bernard Purdie & The Beatles, again!

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Gang the tracks Purdie MIGHT have sweetened were the Polydor sides, bought and issued by Atlantic on their Atco label, Georgia Brown, Take Out Some Insurance on me Baby, Nobody's Child, and Ain't She Sweet.
These were the records done by Tony Sheridan with the Beat brothers, recorded with Kampfurt in '62'.

There is an LP titled 'Ain't She Sweet" issued in cash in on the Beatle craze in late '64'. They contained the three Beatles tracks, with Sheridan lead vocal, and several other tunes recorded by 'hot new English groups".

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Troyh said:
Gang the tracks Purdie MIGHT have sweetened were the Polydor sides, bought and issued by Atlantic on their Atco label, Georgia Brown, Take Out Some Insurance on me Baby, Nobody's Child, and Ain't She Sweet.
These were the records done by Tony Sheridan with the Beat brothers, recorded with Kampfurt in '62'.

That wasn't Pete?

I'll just throw this question out here: The studio version of "I Feel Fine" has an excellent, fast, and clean "What'd I Say" cymbal bell/Latin groove on the verses. But when I hear live recordings, Ringo skips the Latin stuff and just plays quarter notes on the bell. Any chance someone subbed for him in the studio? Or maybe the road just wore poor Ringo down?

mikestand

DFO Master
Reaction score
poot said:
I'll just throw this question out here: The studio version of "I Feel Fine" has an excellent, fast, and clean "What'd I Say" cymbal bell/Latin groove on the verses. But when I hear live recordings, Ringo skips the Latin stuff and just plays quarter notes on the bell. Any chance someone subbed for him in the studio? Or maybe the road just wore poor Ringo down?

Or maybe, as was well-documented, the Beatles early on stopped bothering to play the subtilties on their records live because nobody was listening or could have heard them if they were...

matt b

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
poot said:
Troyh said:

That wasn't Pete?

the article that joektoe posted appears to suggest that Pete did play on the original tracks but there were some later overdubs by a session drummer, perhaps Purdie. From the article:

"When The Beatles hit it big in America in 1964, Polydor released a "cash-in" album of the Sheridan material on the Atco/Atlantic label.

Sometime prior to the U.S. release, however, it appears that Atco/Atlantic may have brought in a studio drummer to enhance Pete Best's less-than-stellar performances. Consequently, two versions of the Sheridan recordings exist, distinguishable on "Ain't She Sweet", for example, by the addition of a drum roll after each verse and an extra hi-hat in the bridge section. It's very likely these drum overdubs were provided by Bernard Purdie, who was regularly doing session work for Atlantic Records at the time."

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
BP needs to sit in the hot seat on Fox Networks;" Moment of Truth".
Some guy recently divorced his wife after she revealed on the program she'd had sex outside their marriage.

TR

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I have the 45 with Tony Sheridan singing "Ain't She Sweet." It came with a bag of Chipos, which were the first round Fritos like chips. I remember thinking the drumming sounded like a studio musician. Ace

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
It's quite possible that Bernard Purdie played on the Beatles recordings. I'm sure he had lots of time because it was ME and a couple other drummers who were playing on all the recordings he has officially been credited with. I think the Beatles could be the only group BP ever recorded with.

jim

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
rokkman said:
Why doe anybody give a s**t any more.

Ditto!!

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
"In his book "All You Need Is Ears" George Martin writes, 'When The Beatles arrived in 1963, I was still forced to record all their early songs using twin-track ... with the rhythm on one track and the vocal on the other'.

In other words, the drums were mixed together with the guitars and bass onto one of two available tracks, rendering the drums inseparable from the other instruments. While it would have been possible to add more drums by "overdubbing" onto the existing tracks, the original drum performance could not be separated or erased, and would still be audible.....if Purdie does appear on any early Beatle recordings, then two drums kits (or parts thereof) would be clearly audible ... and nowhere is this apparent."
*************************************************************************************************************************

Case closed.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
"If those are Purdie's overdubs on the Hamburg recordings, then I suppose that provides a slim sliver of truth to Purdie's claim that he recorded with The Beatles ... sort of. In the intervening years Purdie may have embellished that sliver of truth into a tale so fantastic, even he can't escape the monster he's created ... at least not without confessing and appearing foolish."

BINGO.

bebop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
old_K_ride said:
Some guy recently divorced his wife after she revealed on the program she'd had sex outside their marriage.

TR

That'd be perfect, because fox always tells the truth!

:roll:

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Not biting here. Acebebop said:
old_K_ride said:

TR

That'd be perfect, because fox always tells the truth!

:roll:

Latest posts