Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
"Heck, I always thought the stuff that wasn't Ringo was McCartney.."

that's what I thought too.

Vati

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,I was in the studio when Andy White was wrapping up "Love me to" and Purdie was there playing the maraccas,but George Martin didnt like that sound so it was Ringo on the Tamborine. Ringo Liked my being there so much me gave me his kit that day after the sessions. But I sold them last year on Ebay. What is all the fuss.??? Heck forget this stuff and listen to Larry Coryells first lp with Sex and Jammin with Albert.. THAT he was playin on..(Purdie that is)..........V :drunken:

matt b

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
NashvilleGull said:
Heck, I always thought the stuff that wasn't Ringo was McCartney..

that's because it was

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it is possible that Bernard did indeed play on those 21 tracks. It is possible that Brian Epstein was afraid that the current Beatles tracks of the time wouldn't cut the mustard in America, so He surreptitiously went into a studio in NYC, and booked some time, and had a few drummers come in and see what they could do to the tracks. If this did happen, Bernard would be telling the truth. The fact is, though, that all the tracks recorded in England are the same as the ones released in America. So, Brian Epstein was probably spinning his wheels, and simply throwing money at an opportunity to hear the tapes with different drummers playing on them. He had more money than he knew what to do with, he was from a record shop and certainly could have done some recording in New York. BUT..

The records are the same. So even if Purdie played with the Beatles recordings, none of his or anyone else's drums (other than the aforementioned Adam White, and later McCartney) were on the Beatles music other than Ringo.

How many other interviews of studio drummers or musicians have you heard where the person being interviewed can't really say whether his drum track was the one they used? Especially later in the 70s and beyond, bands like Steely Dan used multiple drummers and other musicians on tracks. There have been many cases where studio musicians have played in sessions that were under tight control by the studio production people, and who ends up on the final product is in question.

I'm just trying to come up with a scenario that makes Bernard's story plausible whilst still making the fact of his not actually being on the released records jibe with it. Even the money part of it isn't out of range with reality: Ten grand to Brian Epstein at the time was probably chump change.

If it is a true story we owe Bernard an apology, I think.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Theory-Purdie overdubed 21 early Beatles drum parts for Brian. They never got released. Henceforth, he claims he played on 21 Beatles tunes. No one can find these recordings? It's a weak stretch at best. IMO Ace

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Paul also states in an MD interview that his bass and the drums were together on the same track and could not be taken apart. Paul thinks that Purdies claims are rediculous. I also will agree that Ringo probobly played quarter nots on his ride during the live version of I feel fine because the subtleties could not be heard. I think he mostly kept a backbeat because the noise was so loud.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is my two cents. Bernard said in an old MD interview that the first session he ever did was Doris Troy's "Just One Look", which was recorded and released in 1963, after the first Beatles album was already released in England. Work had already begun on "With the Beatles" by this time. So even if Brian Epstein did come over with some tapes and had the drum parts "fixed" or "played over", why would he pick a virtual unknown like Purdie to do the work. Bernard was just starting out in the business, and I doubt Epstein would have offered any hush money to someone who hadn't really gained any credibility or trust within the industry yet. He probably would have hired someone like Gary Chester or one of the other established NY session guys.
Ringo is not the only one Bernard claims he did the work of. In Bernard's discography section of Max Weinberg's book, he is credited with being the drummer on "Cold Sweat", which we all know was Clyde Stubblefield.