Bernard Purdie

SpinaDude

Reaction score
There is a great Asian fusion restaurant in Madison, NJ that also happens to have some great jazz music. I am a terrible jazz player, as in embarrassingly bad LOL, but I like listening to it and have a great respect for the musicians. Tonight, they're welcoming Bernard Purdie in. We have a table right near where he'll be playing so I should be able to see him as well as watch. I'm really looking forward to it.

I don't know much about Purdie and was going to do a lot of research today ('cuz I'm a geek), as well as some listening, but I decided to wait. I want to be surprised.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Used to live near that place. Saw some great music there including Joe Morello.
The food was good too.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice, I grew up next to Madison, but that was before they had an Asian Fusion restaurant!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I took Joe to that place after a lesson in the 90's and met Purdie there, just hanging out. All kinds of people would show up to see Joe. They gave me free pork fried rice! :)

Dan

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Two or three years ago Purdie was at the CT Drum Show signing copies of his book, chatting everyone up and going around to the booths looking at gear like everyone else. I chatted him up for quite awhile.

Nice guy, real talker, very straightforward. This was when he was endorsing Sakae so maybe my timeframe is off.

At some point the woman he was with said that he was going to sit down at some random kit and do an impromptu clinic and that is just what he did. I was standing right in front of the bass drum when the whole thing kicked off.

He is funky, he is groovy, he is a showman but the chops are just not there. I think Danny Seraphine was the head clinician at that show. Somebody like Seraphine would eat ten Purdie’s alive for breakfast in the chops department. But, he does have a charm all his own.

He is an icon in the game and an outspoken, controversial one at that so that will always make him exciting to see.

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two or three years ago Purdie was at the CT Drum Show signing copies of his book, chatting everyone up and going around to the booths looking at gear like everyone else. I chatted him up for quite awhile.

Nice guy, real talker, very straightforward. This was when he was endorsing Sakae so maybe my timeframe is off.

At some point the woman he was with said that he was going to sit down at some random kit and do an impromptu clinic and that is just what he did. I was standing right in front of the bass drum when the whole thing kicked off.

He is funky, he is groovy, he is a showman but the chops are just not there. I think Danny Seraphine was the head clinician at that show. Somebody like Seraphine would eat ten Purdie’s alive for breakfast in the chops department. But, he does have a charm all his own.

He is an icon in the game and an outspoken, controversial one at that so that will always make him exciting to see.
With all due respect, if you are listening to Purdie for fast chops, you might be listening to the wrong drummer.

But if you want time, groove and feel, he’s your man. I heard him in clinic recently (OK, not that recent. ‘07 maybe?), and he hadn’t lost a step. Still great.

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Reaction score
EvenSteven, you're absolutely right. His feel was amazing. He whipped out some tasty licks when called for, but that's just it -- this was a lesson in taste. His choices were also incredibly musical and creative, yet always simple. He never felt the need to throw in a thousand notes.

I've seen three clinics in the lat three months and got nearly nothing out of them. But I was actually inspired by him last night. He really deserves the reputation he's built up.

We sat right next to the kit. So lose I was able to hand him my drink from my seat why he was still on his throne. He had such clean technique and control of the kit. And he was smiling almost the whole time. He really loved what he was doing. There was no indication of stress for a performance or treating it as a chore. He was just enjoying sharing his music with people.

The band was incredibly dialed in. They were all like Purdie: excellent examples of simplicity and taste. No real setlist, they would just talk to each other about what they wanted to play, "Yeah, something in G-Minor,"; "Let's do a bossa,"; "Chestnuts?"...and then they just went. Tight, professional and un-pretentious.

He's supposed to be there again in a few months. I can't wait to go back.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
With all due respect, if you are listening to Purdie for fast chops, you might be listening to the wrong drummer.

But if you want time, groove and feel, he’s your man. I heard him in clinic recently (OK, not that recent. ‘07 maybe?), and he hadn’t lost a step. Still great.
So...you agree with me?

I pretty much said that myself in my post.

Sure, Purdie is all of that, still, I like to see a guy cut up a bit when he sits behind a kit, show us some tricks and charms.

But, I do like chops.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He's so great. But set your bs filter to high. Feel the groove. Ignore his words. I love the guy but ...

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think Mr. Purdie's motto would be .." Keep giggin' "
what ever it takes . He's accomplished that. in a Big way.

Latest posts