Best All-around Zildjian Ride (20”/22”)?

Jazzhead

Reaction score
All,
What Zildjian ride would you suggest that is versatile (funk, jazz, soft rock, etc.) and can be had used for $200-$350?
If I push the price into $400 range, then I know some good choices like kerope, Renaissance, K line.

Note: Cymbal doesn’t need to meet the characteristics of heavy rock or metal genres, Mostly soft music as mentioned above.

Edit: forgot to mention, it needs to be crashable. So, it is better to be on thinner side.

Last edited:

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Staying strictly in your budget:

21" A or K Sweet
22" A or K Medium Ride
22" Avedis

drumreverie

Reaction score
Zildjian K Custom Left Side 20" Ride. Underappreciated ride I hardly ever see mentioned. Very musical cymbal that should work in all genres, just like Peter Erskine who designed it.

I have a discontinued 22" that is fantastic. Zildjian still makes the 20" and I see a bunch used on reverb in your $200-350 price range.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe some funky old Trans Stamp..
majority of old or mid age A's are muddle err middle-of-the-road. Maybe that's why the question rises. Sure they "work" and can be controlled and shaped to be this or that but are they or how much do they inspire is z question. I mean I have (some for more than 40 years) a couple 3. A 1956g 20 a 2067g 20 a 2580g 22..do they inspire? hm. Do they work, of course.
I don't think you have to go to 350$ for one..I know that much. Find a medium light 20 and Be Happy (that's an Order ; )
(or psst psst look elsewhere.)
Or maybe I'll sell you my used no ink little keyholing 2580g 22 I bought off ebay for 70$. Does 225$ sound ok?

Last edited:

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d say the new Avedis line would be a good choice especially if the A line is a little loud for your application. The 21” K Sweet and 20” K Custom Dark Rides are also great options and available in your price range.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Most inspiring is still an old K for me. But $$$....not for sale. ;)

however...I’ve been appreciating some old As lately. I have a few in the stable.

Last edited:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I'll go a different route and recommend a 20" K Heavy Ride - great rock cymbal, but also sounds great at lower volumes. It records crystal clear. I used one exclusively for the better part of 20 yrs. before I added other rides to the mix.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
So far I have really liked the 21” A sweet ride, it sounds so versatile, I can hear this cymbal jazzed up and also for anything soft. This is from youtube though! I didn’t know about this cymbal.

I like the 20-22” Avedis line but it is pretty much a new 60’s A, isn’t it? I have a 20” 60’s A at 2300g which is medium, it sounds good but not crashable, I want it to be crashable for sure.

Anything vintage needs to be played and bought in person, the consistency is not there I think, unless there is a specific vintage A you know about.

Heavy cymbals are not that crashable usually but I will check out the heavy Ks.

This shouldn’t matter but this ride will be on my right side, main ride, k left side ride will work for sure but it is probably designed musically to be a left side ride.

Z-Mac sounds pingy to me, I didn’t like the sound.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I have a 20" Kerope that I may part with at some point in time (22" Old K holds the main spot). I'd sell it for $275 or so. PM me if interested. Sound file available.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Being crashable sort of takes the heavies and even many mediums out of the equation. I have 4 of the ones mentioned and no doubt all of them can do the job. As far as the best? I'd pick my 2 Trans stamps. I've tried the 21" A Sweet Ride and that's worthy of ranking too.

1. 20" Trans Stamp (2270)
2. 21" Trans Stamp sizzle (2390)
3. 20" K Custom Dark (2230)
4. 20" Small Stamp (2150)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
All,
What Zildjian ride would you suggest that is versatile (funk, jazz, soft rock, etc.) and can be had used for $200-$350?
If I push the price into $400 range, then I know some good choices like kerope, Renaissance, K line.

Note: Cymbal doesn’t need to meet the characteristics of heavy rock or metal genres, Mostly soft music as mentioned above.

Edit: forgot to mention, it needs to be crashable. So, it is better to be on thinner side.
A nice 20" A or A Custom....on a side note, a band cymbal would fit your criteria, too. 20" Suspended or a Viennese Symphonic.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
The modern 20" A Medium ride is about as versatile as it gets.
The modern A would be the avedis line with only his signature logo on the cymbal top? Are those crashable? I wonder how it compares to 21” A sweet ride.