Best All-around Zildjian Ride (20”/22”)?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does it have to be Zildjian?

My paiste 20" medium ride would be "perfect" for all around styles if you decided on 20"

Even or maybe better....
my 20" medium light

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The modern A would be the avedis line with only his signature logo on the cymbal top? Are those crashable? I wonder how it compares to 21” A sweet ride.
I'm talking about the regular A (same series as Sweet Ride). It's crashable, has a good blend of wash and definition, and a good bell. Others may have more wash, more definition or crashability, but this is the standard jack-of-all-trades ride in my opinion.

Attachments

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I read in pearldrummersforum that some say 21” A sweet ride is a bit washy and doesn’t have very good stick definition, is this true? I will play jazz using this cymbal so I need it to have good stick definition.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Does it have to be Zildjian?

My paiste 20" medium ride would be "perfect" for all around styles if you decided on 20"

Even or maybe better....
my 20" medium light
For some reason I don’t like to have mix of brands in my cymbal setup, although if you just go for sound it shouldn’t matter.
I have found myself to like zildjian and Istanbul cymbals the most. Love the 21” Mel lewis ride.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
K Custom Special Dry Ride, 21".
Terrific cymbal, very versatile - good stick definition, great bell, crashable, blends well. So good I have two of them. :)

gbow

Reaction score
I like the 20" K Custom Session. Great stick definition and not too much wash.

gabo

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I regularly use a 23" A Sweet ride and I can assure you that the Sweet Rides have plenty of definition for use in playing jazz. They are a little brighter than your usual jazz cymbal but still really nice.

If you are patient you can certainly get a great used K Con 22" Medium in the 2650-2800 range that meets your criteria and can be used for just about anything. I've never paid more than $350 for a used 22" K Con.

So yeah: My two general purpose Zildjian rides are the 23" Sweet and the 22" K Con Medium, both of which I've had for a couple years at this point.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I regularly use a 23" A Sweet ride and I can assure you that the Sweet Rides have plenty of definition for use in playing jazz. They are a little brighter than your usual jazz cymbal but still really nice.

If you are patient you can certainly get a great used K Con 22" Medium in the 2650-2800 range that meets your criteria and can be used for just about anything. I've never paid more than $350 for a used 22" K Con.

So yeah: My two general purpose Zildjian rides are the 23" Sweet and the 22" K Con Medium, both of which I've had for a couple years at this point.
Thanks for your input. I like the sound of A sweet rides.
There are rides that I really really like that usually go for $350+ used but I know it is possible to find them around $350 mark too.
22” K con medium thin low
21” Mel lewis ride
22” K con renaissance ride
20” Sabian Artisan ride

However, I need something cheaper and versatile and I am sure much cheaper cymbal can do the job perfectly, I heard a band playing at a local jazz bar and I thought the ride cymbal was something expensive from the sound I was hearing, but it was just a medium A that worked well for jazz to my ears. I love that sweet stick sound of 21” mel lewis ride, I am trying to get something close to that.

Rick

Reaction score
As several have already mentioned, the 20" K Custom Dark ride is an outstanding cymbal for all the types of music you stated. Not to toot my own horn too much, but if you check out the Cymbals for Sale section here I have one for sale! I'm only replacing it because I needed a ride that pairs a little better with my 20" K Con Light ride and I have purchased a 20" K Con Medium ride for that purpose (also a great cymbal if you can find one in your price range). But I really love the K Custom Dark ride! Absolutely beautiful sounding cymbal... GREAT stick definition. This one is in essentially new condition and I have it priced at $290 (free shipping), which is almost $100 below what this cymbal sells for new.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I read in pearldrummersforum that some say 21” A sweet ride is a bit washy and doesn’t have very good stick definition, is this true? I will play jazz using this cymbal so I need it to have good stick definition.
I can agree with that. But it will still do the job for most of us. I think the K Custom Dark ride does it better though. If you like the brightness of the A's though, you'll be ok with the A Sweet Rides.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the plain medium better. But then again, I much prefer vintage A rides over new ones. I don’t understand why people sleep on some of the fantastic vintage As.

Sammybear

Reaction score
I don't own one and have not heard it, but someone suggested to me a Zildjian 18" K Crash Ride for the type of application you mentioned, if you don't mind going to a smaller ride.

Jazzhead

Reaction score

If I can trust the sound of the cymbals in these Utube videos, medium A will be my least favorite among these four. In fact, I shouldn’t say least favorite, because I already have a medium (2300g) 20” vintage A that sounds exactly like the modern A but it is less crashable, it sounds gongy when i crash it.

Last edited:

gbow

Reaction score
That's certainly a good group to narrow it down to. I think any of those would work ok, just personal preference. I own 3 of the four and have owned the other one in the past.

gabo

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
A Custom ... first generation with just " ride " stamped on them .

K Custom Dark ... each one a little different from the next, so it's better to try out each one .

Both of these well balanced in ride crash / crash ride applications .

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
20" medium A around 2000 grams. Any vintage ( I like older ones better though). In my experience this cymbal at around that weight (say 1850-2150 grams) almost always hit that perfect ( for me) mix of ride and crashability. It's also a cymbal you can typically pick up for around a hundred bucks. Nothing fancy but they seem to work for me.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will play jazz using this cymbal so I need it to have good stick definition.
It‘s all a matter of taste, but I‘d say you need a lower-volume, balanced sound with a good deal of wash. Not a crash-type high wash, but a legato element as opposed to Staccato. Something like the Session ride would be much too penetrating and pingy on your standard jazz gig. Many cymbals these days seem amped up, large bell etc., you don‘t want that for jazz. The 21“ Mel Type would be a good example of a quieter ride, although some are too washy even at low volume. The A medium is rather thin these days, which is nice for quieter playing. Most demos are played rather hard, take this into consideration.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
+ the crashes and side sticks on standard A's are going to be of the bright and sunny -type versus the dark stormy and lightning-like side sticks and crashes on a K- type or on some Turkish (made in turkey) simbols