Best All-around Zildjian Ride (20”/22”)?

markkarj

Reaction score
I quite like Canadian As made in the 1970s. I have a 20" medium that is a gorgeous, versatile cymbal... with crashable qualities but a fair amount of definition. I think the closest I've recently heard is a 21" A Custom anniversary ride.

219Dave

Reaction score
How about a K Sweet? I have the 21, and like it a lot. You’ll need to find it used to get into your price range. Crashable, adaptable to many situations, right amount of wash for me.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest the 22" K Dark Medium Ride. Very versatile and surprisingly crashable... Great cymbal.

cdrummer

Reaction score
20" medium A around 2000 grams. Any vintage ( I like older ones better though). In my experience this cymbal at around that weight (say 1850-2150 grams) almost always hit that perfect ( for me) mix of ride and crashability. It's also a cymbal you can typically pick up for around a hundred bucks. Nothing fancy but they seem to work for me.
If you're playing jazz and want to stick with Zildjian, this is an excellent recommendation. Late 50s/early 60s would be my recommendation to get that classic sound, but still versatile enough to do other types of music. Earlier eras, such as the trans stamps are beautiful, but you may not want that much complexity for some of the other styles.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score

If I can trust the sound of the cymbals in these Utube videos, medium A will be my least favorite among these four. In fact, I shouldn’t say least favorite, because I already have a medium (2300g) 20” vintage A that sounds exactly like the modern A but it is less crashable, it sounds gongy when i crash it.
A caution about Memphis Drum Shop video's.
They tend to optimize the recordings to make the specific cymbals sound especially nice.
I've bought into those vids a couple of times and got burned.
Still a good idea to hear the specific cymbal you're buying, but it really helps to be able to hear "through" the recording.
….same goes for Drum Shop Maine.

-----------------------------------------------

...and now, submitted for your approval....a 20" K. Crash Ride.....

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...if a K Custom were a Paiste Trad, it might be.....

...gotta admit, it sure looks like one!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They tend to optimize the recordings to make the specific cymbals sound especially nice.
I’ve purchased so many cymbals based on the videos at Memphis Drum Shop they installed a bell system when I email them. It’s like a lottery ... whoever is the first to answer the bell wins my commission.
It’s a two stage split, though.
Memphis gets the original commission ... you guys get the second one by paying pennies on the dollar when I sell them here after figuring out they didn't sit well in my mix.

Rick

Reaction score
Still a good idea to hear the specific cymbal you're buying, but it really helps to be able to hear "through" the recording.
….same goes for Drum Shop Maine.
Interesting. I've bought two cymbals from them and I thought in both cases the videos did a pretty accurate job, i.e. the cymbals sounded pretty much like I expected them to sound when they came in. Definitely, cymbals are going to sound somewhat different in different rooms, but I thought however they recorded it did a pretty good job of letting me hear it in an accurate light. Having said all that, you are absolutely correct in that nothing can replace auditioning the cymbal in person... especially putting it on your kit, playing a gig or two with it, and seeing if it fits in the mix with your other cymbals. In both cases where I bought cymbals that way, I was fully prepared to return them if they didn't work out. Fortunately, both did and I'm super happy with them.

Last edited:

Rick

Reaction score
I’ve purchased so many cymbals based on the videos at Memphis Drum Shop they installed a bell system when I email them. It’s like a lottery ... whoever is the first to answer the bell wins my commission.
It’s a two stage split, though.
Memphis gets the original commission ... you guys get the second one by paying pennies on the dollar when I sell them here after figuring out they didn't sit well in my mix.
That's a very important point! (how the cymbals sit in your mix) And I completely agree that is something that is very difficult to tell from hearing a cymbal in a video. Fortunately for me (as I posted above), the two cymbals I've bought from Memphis Drum Shop have worked out beautifully. It did result in one of my previous cymbals being "odd man out" as it didn't fit in the mix anymore with the first of those cymbals (bought about a year ago) and I recently replaced it with the second cymbal from MDS.

BTW, as I mentioned before, I still have that "odd man out" cymbal for sale. And it's a good one (at a good price)! 20" K Custom Dark Ride in pristine condition. Check it out over in the "Cymbals for Sale" section.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
If you're playing jazz and want to stick with Zildjian, this is an excellent recommendation. Late 50s/early 60s would be my recommendation to get that classic sound, but still versatile enough to do other types of music. Earlier eras, such as the trans stamps are beautiful, but you may not want that much complexity for some of the other styles.
Are those 50s/early 60’s rides crashable? It’s gotta be thin I guess, the mediums are not crashable.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
The 20 K Custom Dark works for me as that all-rounder. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and so many people suggest it for good reason.

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
I have three 20" rides that I feel cover me for any playing situation. They are the A Custom Ping Ride, the K Custom Ride, and the K Custom Session Ride. If I had to pick one, it would be the K Custom Session ride... here is a good video featuring it.

Here is another video with a heavier version of the same model... 20" K Custom Session Ride.