Best and worst drum products/developments/concepts

markkarj

Reaction score
I'd like to take the wildly-successful "unpopular opinions" section in a new direction.

What do you think are the best and worst of the drumming world? Products, concepts... you name it. Anything you love, or love to hate.

BEST
-Aquarian super kick bass drum heads. For my style of playing, they're the perfect combination of controlled resonance.
-Sabian's AAXplosion fast crashes. I have rarely found a lighter crash that has such shimmer and dynamic range (to a point... I don't want to kill the cymbal)
-My 1990s Premier APK steel snare. With new heads, an S-hoop and Puresound snare wires, that drum (bought used for $100 CAD) is unbelievable.
-Yamaha hardware. While I use a Pearl ICON rack due to cost and availability, I've added several Yamaha components over the years. I find it well built and thoughtfully designed.

WORST
-Pearl ISS- I get that Pearl wanted to do some kind of isolation system and probably didn't want to pay royalties to Purecussion (RIMS manufacturer). It just seems the worst possible way of doing so in terms of clamping a drum by its rim.
-Pearl long lugs- it sounds like those have been nothing but a nightmare due to breakage. I actually rather liked some the MLX and BLX drums to which they're attached.
-Duratech fiberglass sticks. I'm surprised I don't have permanent tendinitis from playing them.
-Sabian Rocktagons. Ugh...

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I think this idea of hitting the bass drum with my foot while keeping both hands free for my parade snare is working out.

Both drummers and cows seemed to appreciate it when Remo Belli figured out how to make plastic drum heads work.

And I think Fred Gretsch’s ply drum thing is going to catch on.

Not so sure I get clapping cymbals together down around my socks though. Maybe someone can figure out how to raise that higher so I can hit them with my sticks too.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
You might want to search some of the other forums because this topic is everywhere and its a long list.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Worst: Pearl's Vari-Pitch drums (Roto toms with shells)
The Off-time Hi-Hat attachment (small hats closing when regular hats open, and opening when regular hats close, thought it would be good for solos, but it overworked your leg muscles, and hi-hat spring too much.
Best: Roger's Memriloc hardware, light yet totally solid.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
BEST:
Firchie rotosnare
the simple multiclamp...change the hardware game
RIMS and INDE tom mounts
double bass drum pedals (game changer)...

WORST:
Never liked Pearls Arms
Deep Bass drums
Drum solo videos that are more athletic than music
any drum product named 'turbo'...its not...end of story

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Universal tilting for cymbals and drums.

Drumnetics pedals - using magnets for action. Absolutely brilliant.