header.nohb.html

Best compliment you've received about your drumming?

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No one has ever asked me to sign any of their boobs. I’ve kinda given up and stopped carrying my Sharpie.
Trust me, as you advance in age you start hoping there won't be any boobs to sign. Because there comes a time when the boobs aren't firm enough to withstand the sharpie's point. Your signature will just be a smudge...

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got drafted into playing at my 40th high school reunion in '09. I was pitifully out of shape playing-wise as I hadn't played really in decades. I lived in an apartment at the time without a kit set up and the only way I could rent time on a kit was by taking lessons from a local hot shot at the Daddy's Junky Music in Manchester, NH. The chops were quickly coming back and he said, "You'll be fine" as I mirrored and or suggested stuff that surprised him as we played together.
Two reunions later in '19 the now 3rd version of our reunion band played. I had retired and moved to northern NH the previous fall finding several good musicians to my surprise and we had been jamming in my basement for about 6 months 2 or 3 times a week for 3-4 hours a session. I was in maybe the best playing shape of my life other than the "road years" despite my advancing age. Better in ways as my tastes have evolved and I'm all about finesse now as opposed to power/speed.
Three different people came up to me at the last reunion to compliment my playing. One kind of shocked "Wow, you're a really good drummer!"
There's a folky semi acoustic group that always does a set at the reunion. They have a drummer who plays a little pancake porta-kit. I always accompany them on my DWs when they play "The Weight", "Shape I'm In" and maybe a few others. Another ego enhancer told me, "The only time they sounded good was when you were playing!"
I returned home feeling pretty good about that reunion.
Self aggrandizement complete...

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like a few others have mentioned, I'm one that just does not receive many complements... sincere or even backwards. When I was younger that really, REALLY bugged me but as my career grew (and I matured) I realized the phone ringing was the nicest complement I could ever ask for. Even today I do not receive complements from the shows I work for but as a hired sidemen I suppose that is not all that unusual. Just keep the phone ringing a few more years and I'll be alright with it.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some of my favorites that meant the most:

“I danced through the whole show.”

“You make me want to drum again.”

“You recorded this entire record without a click?”

“Sign my boob.”

Alright, the last one was fake.
The request or the boob?

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got a full time country-rock bar gig with a kinda has-been one-hit wonder Nashville guy in 1980 (he was actually really good and did a huge variety of music and I learned a lot from him).

Anyway, the guy's previous drummer was really good and had been around much more than me.

We did lots of slow country Waylon style waltzes (Mamas don't let your Babies, Amanda, My Heroes have alway been Cowboys, Lucille etc) that many ex-rock guys (like me) would usually play really stiff.....
ONE two three ONE two three.

But somehow I had developed a knack for doing waltzes in half-time (slow sloppy 6/8 feel) and I could play them a little behind the beat... like so...

KICK two three SNARE two three ... and I could follow the vocal phrasings well too.

Anyway, one night the Nashville band leader guy tells me I play half-time country waltzes better than any other drummer he ever had.

Wow!

Last edited:

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was loading my drums out once and the bouncer, a tough looking guy who had been scowling the whole night and didn't say a word to anyone, stopped me at the door. This guy happened to be African American. He asked me what my ethnicity was, which almost never is a good way to start a conversation. I told him and he frowned some more and then replied, "I would never have guessed that because you hit those drums like a black man." I'm pretty sure it was a big compliment regarding my drumming ... and perhaps a minor slight on my people's reputation as drummers. :)

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was loading my drums out once and the bouncer, a tough looking guy who had been scowling the whole night and didn't say a word to anyone, stopped me at the door. This guy happened to be African American. He asked me what my ethnicity was, which almost never is a good way to start a conversation. I told him and he frowned some more and then replied, "I would never have guessed that because you hit those drums like a black man." I'm pretty sure it was a big compliment regarding my drumming ... and perhaps a minor slight on my people's reputation as drummers. :)

I find these kinds of comments very uncomfortable coming from any direction, but people mean well and I accept compliments like this with a smile.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I find these kinds of comments very uncomfortable coming from any direction, but people mean well and I accept compliments like this with a smile.
Yeah, definitely awkward ... especially when combined with my perception of his demeanor, but he did mean it to be a compliment and I accepted it as such. It can be funny what people say to you when you put yourself on a stage somewhere. Sometimes I feel like I'm in my own episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Wheresmyroadie?

Twisted Loner
Reaction score
I've covered this before, but I just got one last week from the guitarist I'm presently working with.
He is supremely talented and a joy to work with.
When we were packing up, he said: "You know, I've spent my life searching for a real pocket player and You are the one."
Coming from him, I was impressed...

rsmittee

Reaction score
The ones from bandmates mean the most:
"I think I just came!" from our female bass player. "Me too!" from our male guitarist.
"Wow, you've been eating your Wheaties!" from our singer.

Random drunk fans can say some nice things too:
"You really carry that band." said within earshot of my bandmates.
"This drummer is great!" from the guy unknowingly seated next to my 70 year old mom who leaned over and said "You better say that!"

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Even though I've been gigging for over 30 years, I didn't take compliments very well (always thought people were just being nice because I'm a "girl") until about 10 years ago. My Heart/Zep tribute band played a sold-out show and a guy came up to me afterwards and said, "That was amazing! You're really, really good." Again, I thought he was just being nice and I kinda said, "Well thanks." He stopped me, stooped down (I'm short) and made sure to look me in the eyes and said slowly and seriously, "No. You're REALLY REALLY good." He wanted me to HEAR his words and take them to heart. It really touched me. I took a big gulp and almost choked up. He walked away and I just stood there stunned. All I could think was, "Wow," because this stranger went out of his way to hunt me down. He made an effort. He didn't have to, but he did. And he told me something that meant the world to me, because in that moment, it hit me.... When you have a passion for something that's so strong and has always been with you, it's who you are, it's what you absolutely have always loved to do, and you work your whole life hoping to at least be decent at it, against all sorts of odds (being female and petite...In school band I was told I couldn't play the drums because I was too small to march with them), and then someone says something like that, in that way.... I was very, very grateful. I now take compliments better, always thanking the person for telling me, and that it means a lot to me. It does.

Two studio engineers have commented about how "precise" my playing is in the studio. I thought it was interesting that they both used that word.

When band mates tell me I'm their favorite drummer, it means a lot to me. Lots of great drummers in my area.

And one of my band mates told me he'd pay $25 just to sit in a room and listen to me play. I wasn't sure if that was a compliment or an insult because it should really be more like $100! ;)

And I did sign a boob once at a festival in New York. Awkward.