Best Concert You’ve Seen ???

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pink Floyd 1994 @ RFK Stadium in Washington, DC. Paid 300 bucks for (2) 3rd row from the stage near the middle floor seats. Took my dad. We never sat down.

Almost up there with that was same year, 1994, Steely Dan's Alive in America tour. They came to Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. Had a blast with a great group of friends sitting on the lawn seats getting high and wasted on overpriced beers.

Last edited:

edplaysthedrums

Reaction score
Any Peter Gabriel show before So (not that after was bad), Joe Jackson, Fast Forward tour, anytime I've seen The Bad Plus, most anytime I saw Tragically Hip, David Byrne American Utopia tour, Yes before they went to hell. Knee jerk responses, carry on.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Rock, Best Sound: ELP's "Works" tour at the St. Paul Civic Arena in 1977. One of only a handful of shows that still featured the full orchestra and choir (before they realized how much money they were losing and cut the rest of the tour back to just E, L and P). The sound system used a hang of 32 Clair S4 speakers loaded with JBL components (see photo below) on each side of the stage. You could hear every instrument and voice with clarity and detail, and the whole system had just the right amount of 'slam' without overloading the venue — the only arena rock show I've ever seen that sounded like a high-end hi-fi system.

8fa9e336-cd4b-4c67-8e1c-8e684bbaaa83.jpg

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - 8/6/06 - Middle East Upstairs - Cambridge, MA -- It was supposed to be a Ted Leo solo show, but then my buddy and I showed up to the venue (it was an afternoon show) and the full band's gear was on stage. The opener, who used to be in the Pharmacists, finished his set with a cover of "Dancing in the Dark", Ted joined in on the second verse on guitar and vocals, and then started his set seamlessly from there. No changeover. He played for about two hours, tried out a bunch of unreleased stuff and just generally kicked ass. Seeing him back then was something special. Tons of energy in a tiny room (the venue holds about 150).

The Hold Steady - 12/15/06 - Pearl Street Downstairs - Northampton, MA -- Another show with my friend. It was my second time seeing The Hold Steady, the first time I didn't love them, but I also wasn't familiar with their music at that show. This was an hour and a half of awesome, wordy, rock and roll. Last night of the tour, so the band was drinking hard on stage, the openers sent shots up to the stage at one point. They're my favorite band, and I've seen them live 33 times now, including three times in the UK this past March.

Wilco - 4/4/10 - Lupo's - Providence, RI -- Went to this show with my now wife, the show was on Easter Sunday and it was part of a tour where Wilco didn't have any opening acts, so they instead played a 40 song set. The band was on fire. Just ungodly good playing. If you haven't seen them live, I highly recommend it. They might be a bit more on this forum's speed rather than the other two acts I posted.

larold

Reaction score
Not sure of the years, but one of these:

Dog Faced Hermans at Satyricon, Portland
Art Ensemble of Chicago at the Ballard Firehouse, Seattle
Ornette Coleman with Prime Time, the double trio version, at Starry Night, Portland
Richard Thompson trio at the Aladdin Theater, Portland

Morello Man

Reaction score
‘72, Ernie Watts told me he’d be doing a show at the Shrine Auditorium in L.A. and invited me to hang for the rehearsal and the show backstage. It was a benefit for Angela Davis, house band was lead by Quincy Jones, Sammy Davis Jr sang and Aretha Franklin did a great show. Unforgettable and one of the greatest shows. The Dave Brubeck Quartet at the Berlin Philharmonie in 2000. Like eight encores. Basie at Donte’s in North Hollywood with Harold Jones. Bill Evans Trio with Marty Morell at Concerts By The Sea. The Who - at the Forum and the next night at the Long Beach Arena, Black Sabbath at the Whiskey...there have been several.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Def Leppard and Journey about 10 years ago. Both acts just put on a great show.

jb78

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - 8/6/06 - Middle East Upstairs - Cambridge, MA -- It was supposed to be a Ted Leo solo show, but then my buddy and I showed up to the venue (it was an afternoon show) and the full band's gear was on stage. The opener, who used to be in the Pharmacists, finished his set with a cover of "Dancing in the Dark", Ted joined in on the second verse on guitar and vocals, and then started his set seamlessly from there. No changeover. He played for about two hours, tried out a bunch of unreleased stuff and just generally kicked ass. Seeing him back then was something special. Tons of energy in a tiny room (the venue holds about 150).

The Hold Steady - 12/15/06 - Pearl Street Downstairs - Northampton, MA -- Another show with my friend. It was my second time seeing The Hold Steady, the first time I didn't love them, but I also wasn't familiar with their music at that show. This was an hour and a half of awesome, wordy, rock and roll. Last night of the tour, so the band was drinking hard on stage, the openers sent shots up to the stage at one point. They're my favorite band, and I've seen them live 33 times now, including three times in the UK this past March.

Wilco - 4/4/10 - Lupo's - Providence, RI -- Went to this show with my now wife, the show was on Easter Sunday and it was part of a tour where Wilco didn't have any opening acts, so they instead played a 40 song set. The band was on fire. Just ungodly good playing. If you haven't seen them live, I highly recommend it. They might be a bit more on this forum's speed rather than the other two acts I posted.

Ted Leo was wonderful back then. My band opened a few shows for him and I loved watching him play.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Too many. Stand-outs:

Buddy Rich in '78. I was 12, and had never seen anyone like him.
Max Roach trio in the 90s. His young bass player was nuts (so was Max).
Elvin Jones in the 90s. Amazing, and what a generous guy.
Balinese shadow puppet show w/live gamelan gong orchestra. Both music and show were fantastic.
Brian Blade w/Chick Corea, last year. First time seeing BB; I've seen a lot of amazing drummers, and he is something special.
Hiromi solo. Love er to death.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many to choose from, but it's got to be -

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes and Heart. Yeah, that's right, Southside Johnny rocked me with so much great Americana rock and roll and Heart just played hit after hit tighter than a snare drum head and sang with the voice of angels. I was completely blown away by both of these acts and it really made for The Best Concert EVER! So much ridiculously good music, I just couldn't believe it. And I really didn't expect much from either!

And Southside Johnny is still kicking it!

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
James Brown at the Lone Star Cafe NYC, 1987. Just a few feet away from us in a small club - don't think I'm going to top that one.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rock: Out of the hundreds I've attended since 1967 the most memorable was November 30, 1968: The Jeff Beck Group, Ten Years After and The Moody Blues at the Shrine Exposition Hall in downtown Los Angeles.
Even after having seen Cream and Hendrix earlier that year, THIS is the concert I'd pick if I could go back in time and see just one concert from 1968 again.
Wow, I was at all three of those shows too. All were great but I gotta go with Jimi as it was the first real show I ever went to. Pretty good place to start.

Jazz: Don Ellis at the Pilgrimage theater. Besides the 27 piece big band he had a choir of 40 and 50 dancers.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Three for me:
Rolling Stones: July 5, 1972, Norfolk Scope, Norfolk, VA
The Who: Nov 27, 1975, Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA
Ian Hunter: Sept 15, 1981, Peppermint Beach Club, Virginia Beach, VA