Best drum wrap companies

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam and Precision get my vote. I’ve used both a bit but Sam more. He’ll try to insist you use his tape method which I’ve had zero success with. I always end up glueing the entire shell.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Some interesting choices on ebay of cellulous acetate coming out of China. These aren't laminated in the way that Delmar does most of their wraps(essentially putting a thin slice of this same material between a backing layer and a clear top layer) but are more akin to the way wraps were made back in the 40s and 50s. Because they lack the opaque backing they are somewhat translucent. Shrinkage also might be a problem after a decade or so. Still some interesting colors being offered up and the pricing is attractive.

Some examples...

wrap 1.jpg
wrap 5.jpg
wrap3.jpg
wrap 2.jpg
wrap 4.jpg

I actually ordered a piece of the black over white pearl stuff, enough to do a snare drum, and it is quite attractive.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some interesting choices on ebay of cellulous acetate coming out of China. These aren't laminated in the way that Delmar does most of their wraps(essentially putting a thin slice of this same material between a backing layer and a clear top layer) but are more akin to the way wraps were made back in the 40s and 50s. Because they lack the opaque backing they are somewhat translucent. Shrinkage also might be a problem after a decade or so. Still some interesting colors being offered up and the pricing is attractive.

Some examples...

View attachment 476833 View attachment 476834 View attachment 476835 View attachment 476836 View attachment 476837

I actually ordered a piece of the black over white pearl stuff, enough to do a snare drum, and it is quite attractive.

I SERIOUSLY considered this earlier in the year. Got a couple samples. They just have this, Dullness. It feels like Delmar, a bit thinner. But without that clear on top. . .
I heard it's just a complete pain in the butt to get this stuff to shine. So I just opted for other choices. Some of it looks really great. The blue and white "mod" style that you posted, is pretty new and looks really neat.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score

Some examples...

Kevin do you mind sharing the links to these? Especially that first blue one.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
KO, that's interesting timing. I am doing a Ludwig micro bop kit and I have looked at #4 and #1 in your post. I will be posting a separate post re: colors.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you fellas try that celluloid, DEFINITELY post up how you feel about it. It's so much cheaper than delmar, I would definitely consider it again after a decent review or two.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a small bop kit I am re-doing and leaning towards one of those celluloid wraps (the rainbow oyster above) - I would also appreciate feedback, please....thanks!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I do find those celluloid wraps intriguing, but I know that celluloid can be somewhat translucent. I wonder if that will cause any issues. Also at half a mm thick, the shells better be really smooth!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I used the Peacock celluloid on a set a few years back. It is semi translucent and I ended up painting my shells a base color to make the colors "pop" a bit more. The stuff was about the same to work with as regular wrap. I "welded" the overlap seams together with acetone. Not sure how they might hold up over decades but it has that same smell when you open a case as vintage drums from the 30s and 40s. There is definitly a pricing advantage to it. It does not come with a protective plastic wrap like Delmar stuff does.

JBell

Reaction score
I tried the wrap from China on a project recently, and can confirm that it looks great, but has no backing and/or protective layer, and while it’s thinner and fairly easy to work with, it’s also a bit brittle, and will probably be prone to cracking and/or shrinkage over time... Obviously, shipping takes a while from China to the States, as well... Total wrap cost for this project was around $130, shipped...

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
As I understand the process that Delmar does for drum wrap is take the colored acetate (although they get it from Italy not China) and slice it into very thin sheets that they then laminate to a PVC backing and cover with an outer clear (or tinted) layer. The stuff from China is essentially the same sort of color layer but sliced a bit thicker and not laminated to any substrate or outer coating. So it's kinda the same, only different.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Precision has always been awesome for me. Wether wraps, shells or anything they offer.
Jammin sam well is a butthole and lost my buisness. Was ready to buy a root beer sparkle for my kit and he pretty much told me he wouldn’t sell it to me with out seeing my full kit. Which is fine if he wanted to make sure it matched but he was very rude and very off putting. Needless to say I’ll never buy from there.