Best drums for gigging under $600!?

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It could be used or new, say under $600 with a 22” bass and 12” tom. Something that has reliable hardware like sturdy floor legs, bass spurs, etc. The bass tom mount could be ignored since I will probably use a snare stand for the tom. What’s out there that’s great sounding at that price with a 22” and 12” tom?
May consider 20” bass as well but I finally figured 22”x14” is my absolute favorite bd size.

Edit: no power toms. Traditional or close to traditional sizes.

Last edited:

Tdipaul

Reaction score
80's Tama Superstars, Imperial Stars, Granstars, Artstars
80's/90's Pearl MLX, BLX, Exports, etc
80's Ludwig Classics/Rockers (ok classics might be rare <$600)
80's/90's Premiers
80's Yam Tour Customs
90's Mapex

there a lots of these kits out there

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
80's Tama Superstars, Imperial Stars, Granstars, Artstars
80's/90's Pearl MLX, BLX, Exports, etc
80's Ludwig Classics/Rockers (ok classics might be rare <$600)
80's/90's Premiers
80's Yam Tour Customs
90's Mapex

there a lots of these kits out there
Good options. Forgot to mention that I don’t want power toms. I want traditional sizes or something close, not a 12”x10” tom.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Pearl! the best Reason to play drums!" used.
how many do you want?

Based on my search Pearl exports or Forum, stage customs, and some PDPs are the beat options. There isn’t anything else really.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
no that's why they're everywhere
Club here locally has as a house set here locally and they've survived 10 years so far. think the 12 is a 9 deep has hanging 14" floor and a 10....
Based on my search Pearl exports or Forum
I'd say Exports not Forums

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Clive bunker, playing a 90’s stage customs (or maybe 2000s), not sure if it is the advantage model or standard. Don’t know the difference anyway.
He sounds amazing!

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If this were me, I’d look for any older midline kit from a major player with a finish I like and decent attached hardware, and it would sure as hell be used.

I’d only get a three piece, since more pieces at that level, guys selling them tend to think they have the greatest kit ever and go for a PPP (Peart Price Point).

So if $600 is my limit, I’d spend $400 on the drums and the rest on new heads, including the kick.

For example, I had some midline Asian Sonor Forces that cost $700 new with a full hardware package. Really nothing special, but once I cranked on some new quality heads, they were fantastic.

I’d also touch up the edges a bit with fine sandpaper, just so I could act like I’m Pimpin’ the Tubs.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. 22/10/12/14 can't remember model EX ELR? Dark grey wrap. Solid. Grabber type rims mounts; ealy 00's or something. We all use them every time there etc. Most guys take off the 12 and just use the 22/10/14. facebook pic of them

somebody put a Yamaha reso head on but they are Pearls...EXR or something
--> search "Joeys The Edge" that's the name of the bar

joeys3.jpg

Last edited:

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buying used, you’re at the mercy of your local market/GC, so it’s anyone’s guess what you might find. But for ultimate value, British-made Premiers are a good place to start the hunt. I’ve owned five or six kits over the years. The most I’ve ever paid was $600 — for a 4-piece Gen-X kit. Two of the others only cost $200 each — a ‘70s mahogany shell kit and an early 2000s Artist Birch. All top-notch drums.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar..boom,.EXR
look for them in your area. Used

some with weird finish:

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For 600 or under used - Yamaha Stage Customs 2nd gen ., Pearl Session maples, Sonor maple mid- range Force series .

Last edited:

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buying used, you’re at the mercy of your local market/GC, so it’s anyone’s guess what you might find. But for ultimate value, British-made Premiers are a good place to start the hunt. I’ve owned five or six kits over the years. The most I’ve ever paid was $600 — for a 4-piece Gen-X kit. Two of the others only cost $200 each — a ‘70s mahogany shell kit and an early 2000s Artist Birch. All top-notch drums.
Yeah, Premier!

THIS... English premier if ya can find them.....

16x22 kick... GREAT drum!!

DSC_0013.JPG