Best drums for gigging under $600!?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, Premier!

THIS... English premier if ya can find them.....

16x22 kick... GREAT drum!!
I can't seem to find those Artist drums very inexpensively anymore. There used to be a ton of them, and yes they are good drums.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Take the $600 and put it in the bank and SAVE! Drums are like buying a motorcycle. You think, well I never road before so I'll get a small bike maybe a 500 or a 650. In less than a year you'll want a 1000 or 1200 size for the power. Just save your money, you're close to halfway there. Believe me if you can get to $1200 to $1500 bucks, you will be served far better and alot longer in that price range.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For example, I had some midline Asian Sonor Forces that cost $700 new with a full hardware package. Really nothing special, but once I cranked on some new quality heads, they were fantastic.
I’ve had both the F3003 and the F3007 series and they are fantastic drums for the price.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, second try (The Premiers are too expensive these days)...

PDP CX
made in Mexico, these are great older maple drums.

Here are two sets, both include snares, great finishes, under $500 INCLUDING SHIPPING and TAX from the dreaded GUITAR CENTER (I have ordered used stuff a lot from GC, it can sometimes be a flakey experience, but they have cheap drum sets and the shipping cost is LOW LOW LOW... lotsa used Yamaha SCB used sets there also)

000000116790546-00-2000x2000.jpg

000000117212537-00-2000x2000 (1).jpg

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, second try (The Premiers are too expensive these days)...

PDP CX
made in Mexico, these are great older maple drums.

Here are two sets, both include snares, great finishes, under $500 INCLUDING SHIPPING and TAX from the dreaded GUITAR CENTER (I have ordered used stuff a lot from GC, it can sometimes be a flakey experience, but they have cheap drum sets and the shipping cost is LOW LOW LOW... lotsa used Yamaha SCB used sets there also)

View attachment 518058

View attachment 518059
Very good sounding drums and value!

nk126

Reaction score
Plenty of used kits for <$600 shipped or local pickup, depending on where you live:

Me, I'm lookin at maybe:

Semi-vintage Slingys need a little love (I have happily owned and gigged a Slingerland set for 20 years now)

Rogers 'nuff said

One of many Yamaha Stage Custom kits out there

Boffo deal for custom made mahogany

Premier made in England super value buy

Pro-level Premier

More pro-level Premier

Almost a jelly bean Premier

These Fibes for unique mojo

All the maple Gretsch toms you'll ever need

All the maple Tama toms you'll ever need

But that's just me. YMMV.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can often find Gretsch Catalina Maples used in this price range, and they are great for the money. They look great too. They have nice solid 2.3 mm hoops vs 1.6 that you'll normally find in this price range.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I played my Yamaha Stage Custom today at rehearsal and I'm amazed at how well they play and sound. That's what I'd do..or that Roger Big R kit on Reverb (Rogers). OOh! And for the money. It's fun spending other peoples money!

Jhouse86

Reaction score
In that range I'd be looking hard at stage customs.+1 for Sonor force series as well. I have a set of sonor forces that are over 20 years old, and are incredible.

jmato

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely stage customs, or tour customs if you can find them. They will never fail you and will sound great. Good luck!

Ratamahoo

Reaction score
Agreed...Stage Customs. Have had Recording Customs, Maple Customs, Absolutes (both Maple and Birch). Sold them all because the Stage Custom Birch kit just covers everything so well.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pearl Vision is great bang for buck and I've played a few. I think they sound a bit better than the Yamaha Stage Custom.

jmato

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazzhead - I have a SC birch 4 piece shell pack in a stain finish I am happy to sell you for well under $600 if you can somehow retrieve it near Indianapolis. Shipping it would likely not be cost effective.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guitar Center Sherman Oaks is showing a 10/12/16/22 Pearl decade with matching snare for $540. Bass drum looks to be deeper but toms appear traditional. Don’t know much about the decade kits but Pearl hardware is usually pretty decent