Best Ear Muffs For Maintaining Fidelity?

tbird8450

Reaction score
Hi. I've been getting back into drumming on a somewhat regular basis after a hiatus of over 15 years. I've been slowly upgrading my old entry-level Pearl Forum kit, and noticed that as my gear improves, my generic ear muffs that I've used forever are not doing me any favors in terms of fidelity. As an example, I received a new Ludwig Supra (402) yesterday, changed the heads, and tuned it up. It sounds fantastic so far (I'm still waiting on some 1.6mm hoops to arrive), however, when I throw the cans over my ears they just kill the resonance, depth, and snap of the snare. They also seem to alter the pitch. Is there anything that's particularly well suited to protecting my hearing while maintaining the proper frequencies and letting the vast majority of the nuances from the drums and cymbals to pass through? I'm not totally opposed to earplugs if that would truly be the best option, but I'd much prefer an ear muff style solution as I find them more comfortable and they'd allow me to throw in some ear buds on occasion while playing along to tracks, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi. I've been getting back into drumming on a somewhat regular basis after a hiatus of over 15 years. I've been slowly upgrading my old entry-level Pearl Forum kit, and noticed that as my gear improves, my generic ear muffs that I've used forever are not doing me any favors in terms of fidelity. As an example, I received a new Ludwig Supra (402) yesterday, changed the heads, and tuned it up. It sounds fantastic so far (I'm still waiting on some 1.6mm hoops to arrive), however, when I throw the cans over my ears they just kill the resonance, depth, and snap of the snare. They also seem to alter the pitch. Is there anything that's particularly well suited to protecting my hearing while maintaining the proper frequencies and letting the vast majority of the nuances from the drums and cymbals to pass through? I'm not totally opposed to earplugs if that would truly be the best option, but I'd much prefer an ear muff style solution as I find them more comfortable and they'd allow me to throw in some ear buds on occasion while playing along to tracks, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Highly recommend! Expensive and worth more than every penny! It filters out the highs and lows leaving a very clean sound.

Last edited: