Best Hardware Manufacturer - Poll

What hardware is the best

• Total voters

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have no favorite hardware brand but here’s my favorite cymbal stand I got 20+ years ago. A Yamaha 700 series. It works great and I always liked the look of them. Also, check out my Rogers memriloc snare stand I got last summer. It’s from the 70s but it’s still real solid. I have it set to hold my 12” snare.
1504B23B-CF12-48C1-BFC3-9132CB9B274E.jpeg
F2EACB75-E124-48D1-B06D-68BC75F42BB9.jpeg

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Of course all these brands' hardware are made by the same company in China. There are design and cosmetic differences however.
I own all DW hardware and it is bullet proof, stable and shiny.
I've never owned or encountered any Yamaha hardware so can't comment other than to say I have the utmost respect for their prowess in anything they do. I ride an 21 year old R1 that looks and performs like new despite hard use including track days, multiple cross continental and more east coast trips than I can count.
Yamaha is on my very short list of alternative drum brands.
All Pearl hardware is made in-house at the factory in Taichung, Taiwan. Also, Reliance, who makes hardware for a ton of companies, is in Taiwan too.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use hardware from every brand in the poll, except Rogers and Mapex.

(…and not because there is anything wrong with Rogers or Mapex, but those brands have never popped up on Craigslist when I need some new hardware, and by that I mean used, because I don’t buy new.)

So no brand loyalty for me with hardware. I’m polyamorous.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use hardware from every brand in the poll, except Rogers and Mapex.

(…and not because there is anything wrong with Rogers or Mapex, but those brands have never popped up on Craigslist when I need some new hardware, and by that I mean used, because I don’t buy new.)

So no brand loyalty for me with hardware. I’m polyamorous.
Have you tried OfferUp?

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use stuff from any manufacturer or era as long as it gets the job done. I’m voting walberg & auge for all the early innovations modern companies have developed off of

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For gear or partners?
Oh.
Never mind.
Haha gear dude! Are you familiar with it? There’s an app for it too. Sometimes there’s good gear on there and there’s pretty much anything else you can think on there too and most of it is local.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I voted Tama although I'm not hard on my hardware so for problems, well it's been very minor. I use the pedals and hi-hats plus the stands. I use the top of the line quality series, they're not the new light weights but I feel they may be lighter than many of the other brands; I don't know. I just like the clean lines, simplicity and ease of setup and tear down. Although I'm a Ludwig player but for hardware just about the only hardware is the ATLAS mounts. Which means I had to replace the Ball L arms with the Gibraltar 12.7mm arms. I do have a Gibraltar rack system at home. Used it for gigs for many years and don't remember having any problems. Their just too heavy for this old man to handle.

sherm

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think all these hardwares are made in the exact same factory, since some are made in mainland China and some are in Taiwan, and you probably cannot build a factory across the sea, can you?
That said, most companies still make their hardwares from outsourced manufacturers (Pearl and Yamaha might be exceptions). I actually really like the Yamaha approach, in which you build a factory that just happens to be in another country, rather than making the "in-house/out-source" distinction. This way the quality of the products are not compromised. The best thing about it, however, is that I can buy Chinese Yamahas from China for much less now (and used Japanese ones for even less) :wink:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I had to choose one brand to do everything I could ever possibly want, I would probably choose Tama. They have flat based hardware, lightweight single braced stuff, double braced stuff, booms with counterweights (if you like that kind of thing), snare stands galore, thrones galore, Hi-hats and pedals galore, about a million accessory clamps and boom arms for just about anything you could/would ever want to mount to your kit, etc. It is built to last forever and most of it wont break the bank.

sjrcass

Reaction score
…Tama King Beat pedal post cracked right off on me during Zeps The Immigrant Song. Can’t remember too many other hardware nightmares.
We need a separate topic on 'Your Worst Hardware Failure'. That one there is giving me PTSD...and it wasn't even me.

"I come from the land of the ice and snow
Not the rising sun where the hardware blows..." :icon_lol:

p.s. I vote Tama, BTW.

Jimipop

Reaction score
Pearl 900 series are built like tanks. They are heavy duty for sure, and makes for about an 80 lb. stand bag. I had owned their previous series as well. Been using Pearl stands for about 30 years now. Top notch.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would say that years ago, it was hands down Sonor. When you turned a wing nut or tightened anything down, you could feel the quality and precision of that mechanical piece. These days, I think that Pearl has a very similar, smooth, positive feel that Sonor used to have. I don't feel it so much with Sonor stuff today, but I could be wrong. I have a few high end Pearl snare stands that are just works of art. They have that feel. That said, I probably own more Yamaha hardware than anything else because it is just so flexible.

EricNathan

Reaction score
I mean is there any question at all? As far as “vintage” 80-90s Sonor. There was and still is nothing like them. The signature and phonic stands had a ferromanganese skelton inside for sh$ts sake. Lol. It sells for more now than it did new. The chroming and fit/finish is still unmatched by anything. That being said, modern Sonor not so much and I’d say Pearl for modern hardware for sure.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pearl 900 series are built like tanks. They are heavy duty for sure, and makes for about an 80 lb. stand bag. I had owned their previous series as well. Been using Pearl stands for about 30 years now. Top notch.
I have to disagree with this. Pearl's top end stuff is good (the 2000 series stuff) but everything below that is hit or miss. I have a 930 and 1000 series snare stand and they are okay, but Tama Roadpro beats them both. I have many 900 series cymbal stands (4 of them) and they look nice, but the metal tubing is small and thin (read: dent easily with accessory clamps) and the plastic inserts in the connections are crap. They snap super easily and no longer serve their purpose so you have to rely on the memory locks to hold your stand up. Oh, and the memory locks are made of a soft metal without a hinge so you tighten them and they lock in place so when you want to loosen and adjust them again... nope. They are stuck there. Be prepared to twist and turn, scratch and gouge your way to a new location. Very disappointing.

I love my H-2000 hi hat stand, Eliminator double pedals and my BC2030 cymbal stand. But those are all their top end stuff.

Sshader

Reaction score
Its funny about the mentions of Yamaha. Yes - they are very well built and I own some of the new Aluminum stuff and love it. Also have some of their drums (Snare, Concert toms) and they are awesome. But maybe not so much on their pedals?

Quick story - my local drum shop is a huge Yamaha dealer. So they get a lot of Yamaha endorsed artists coming through for clinics. Im friends with the owner and he lets me help set up and take care of the musicians (transportation, green room, etc.). I wont mention the artist - but a very well know player and huge metal band. He is a Yamaha endorser, but while I was helping him set up, I noticed he didn't have the Yamaha pedals. He had the Tama Iron stuff. I asked him about it - he said it was one of the few things he couldn't use of theirs. Felt they were flimsy and always were falling apart. Thought that was funny...

jpalom01

Reaction score
For me Tama has always had the best reliability and most useful ideas. The lever-lock Titan stands in the '80s were my first exposure to them, and still the Titan HS90 snare stand is hard to beat for strength-weight ratio. Now I'm using the Star / Starclassic tom mounting memory lock systems and it reminds me of how innovative they are. That same memory lock (hellishly easy to use) also works on the floor tom legs as well. Genius.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I voted DW because to me the pedals and hat stand are the most important pieces of hardware but I like Tama and Pearl stands the best.