Best heads for Gretsch Catalina - 12/16 Toms.

bcrain

Reaction score
I am first and foremost a Slingerland guy, but just picked up a very cool Gold satin flame Catalina as a " second kit", that I can transport around to jam with some guys. It came with both 22 and 18 kicks and 12 and 16 toms.
Not sure why but I have never been a fan of single ply Ambassadors - which came on the kit. I use Evans EC2 frosted on my Slingerlands, but I am wanting something different for the Catalina. I really don't play jazz stuff...mainly Rock and Blues. Some 2-plys sound too fat, but any suggestions from other Catalina users ( or non- users)
The kicks have Remo Powerstrokes, and I'm not thrilled with those. I play Evans Emad on my Slingerlands and love the versatility of those. I plan to use them on the Catalina too.
Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Attachments

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have the new Catalina Special Edition with 22/12/14/16 and a 6.5x14 snare drum. For the toms I put Remo Coated Ambassadors top and bottom on all three of them. (I left the snare totally stock and changed the batter head on the BD for a Remo Coated Pinstripe.) They are tuned for midrange, and zero damping. This video provides an idea as to how they sound. I spent most of my time on the toms, so it may be helpful:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My recommendation would be :
Bass batter - Aquarian Superkick 1
Tom batters - Aquarian Studio X
Tom Resos - Aquarian Classic clear

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really like Evans G12's They work great on sizes 8-16" in my experience. I have only used the coated versions, but they speak clearly on the small drums and still have the grunt on the big toms.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
If its a Catalina Club kit,youll be drumhead poor! Lol
Ive had them and thats what happened to me!
Sold em quick!
If not a CC,Emps are my go to heads.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have a Cat Club in 24/12/16 and I've used (always coated) regular Ambassadors, Vintage Amb, and Vint Emps, all with coated Amb on the reso. I think my favorite is the vint Amb on the 12 and the vint Emp on the floor tom. I also gave a couple coats of polyurethane to the inside of all the shells and that really helped give them a bit more definition.

For the kick I have an Aquarian SKII on the batter and whatever Aquarian reso comes from DrumArt.com. For a while I used a felt strip on the reso but eventually wanted an even more open sound so I pulled it.

drumsforme

Reaction score
Had a Catalina Club in Walnut Glaze...Beautiful Finish in 12, 14, 18"- Had it for about 6 months, was using it for Weddings, American Legion Events, Ballroom gigs, and the like. Used clear Ambassadors for the Reso's on Toms and for batters I started with Coated Ambassadors and Clear PS3 Kick batter and the drums never projected well. I couldn't really find the sweet spot tuning the toms. Changed to 2 ply coated, 2 ply clear, EC3's, Vintage Ambassadors......Still not happy, sold it and got the DW Design Series Frequent Flyer which sounds great with Coated Ambs and Emps.......Heard a Catalina Maple kit at a jam recently that sounded real good. Different from the Catalina Club ......Good Luck with yours, A lot of people are very happy with the CC's.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
12" sounds great with a coated amb. The 16" floor opened up really nice with an Ambassador x (which only comes coated.) I run a ps3 on my bd battwer side with whatever the front head was that came on it (probably a single ply evans somethingerother) I have a Cat Maple.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that in addition to the coats of poly I also put iso feet on the floor tom. I have those for every kit I own.

bcrain

Reaction score
I ended up going with what I have on my Slingerland kit- Evan ECR frosted. I just like tuning low since I play rock and blues...The Ambassadors just didn't deliver for me...they just sounded "hollow" with no depth. My humble opinion of course. Thanks everyone for the input. Great forum here!

nmosko

Reaction score
If it’s a drum that takes tension rods and your going to play it, the best head is an Evans G2 :)

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These drums don't project real well, as was said before... That is the reason I bought my catalina club bop kit in the first place was to play jazz in quieter restaurant environments. I have Remo ambassador heads on my kit and they tune up well and sound really good. When I need more volume I mic the kit up. They sound really good that way as well.