Best heads for Ludwig Three Ply please

Exploder

Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has been covered many times but thanks all the same

Black oyster Pearl Thee Ply, Clear interiors, no serial number..1970?

Sizes 12,13,16,22

Presently has Evans G1 Coated but in bad condition.

Emad on Kick

Any advice appreciated THANK YOU in advance

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
coated single-ply both sides on the toms, clear EMAD batter/Aquarian Regulator resonant on the kick ... me likey

mrmike

Reaction score
coated single-ply both sides on the toms, clear EMAD batter/Aquarian Regulator resonant on the kick ... me likey
All modern heads should fit just fine on this kit so it really just depends on what sound you are looking for. I vote for Coated Ambassadors with coated PS3 for the bass drum.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run Remo Clear Emps on batter and Aquarian Satin Finish Texture Coated on reso. Bass has a Powerstroke 3 batter and a smooth white Ludwig reso with a felt strip. This gives the drums an enormously deep punch with excellent resonance and warmth.
This is on a Ludwig 3ply with clear lacquer maple inners (22,12,13,16).

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with coated ambs all around. If you are looking for a more modern sound,.. try clear G2's batter and G1's res. Sounds killer!

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All modern heads should fit just fine on this kit so it really just depends on what sound you are looking for. I vote for Coated Ambassadors with coated PS3 for the bass
[/quote]

This.

zedave

Reaction score
My 74 3 ply, clear maple interior luddies sound great tuned low with clear ambassador tops and diplomat bottoms. I tried coated heads once to keep it retro, but wasn't keen on the sound compared to the clears. I am curious as to why there are no serial numbers? Badges gone?

PsychRed

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 74 3 ply, clear maple interior luddies sound great tuned low with clear ambassador tops and diplomat bottoms. I tried coated heads once to keep it retro, but wasn't keen on the sound compared to the clears. I am curious as to why there are no serial numbers? Badges gone?
I think there was a moment in the early in the B/O badge years where they didn't have serial numbers? I think I remember hearing something like that.. I could be wrong! :unsure:

To the original poster... 3 ply Ludwigs and heads: hard to make old Ludwigs sound bad, just about anything will work if it's tuned right. I like just about any kind of single ply, coated head on top and usually clear Diplomats on the reso side.
My fave single ply head these days is the Ludwig coated "medium", they sound great and last forever.

I've been hearing Tommy Wells sing the praises of Attack drum heads, I'm going to have to try some those as well.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
Rather difficult to get a bead on what kind of heads you want, when you haven't really said what kind of sound you are looking for or what style of music you play!

I have 3 sets of 3 ply's, and I run everything from EC2's, to Suede Ambassadors, to Vintage A's and Emps, to regular coated Ambs and Emps.

It depends greatly on what kind of sound you are shooting for. If you don't have a particular description of your desired "sound" then put up some bands or drummer's name who you dig their sound. Then we can get you close to what you are looking for!

Thud

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the Evans G2 on mine. But as cited, there are plenty of options depending on the sound you want.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
yep. depends on what you want. I'm doing a jazz/ blues gig, and am really digging Fiberskin top and bottom on my Clubdates. I tried it on an R&B, louder gig, and they just didn't cut. Went back to coated Ambos for that one. I don't think I've ever heard a head not work on them. Just did a session where the studio kit was 3 ply Luddies with DW coated/clears. Recorded great! 282906_10151366860053658_110008976_n.jpg

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
yep. depends on what you want. I'm doing a jazz/ blues gig, and am really digging Fiberskin top and bottom on my Clubdates. I tried it on an R&B, louder gig, and they just didn't cut. Went back to coated Ambos for that one. I don't think I've ever heard a head not work on them. Just did a session where the studio kit was 3 ply Luddies with DW coated/clears. Recorded great! View attachment 152014
just did a double take on your pic,the kik looked like 8 x 22!

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
yep. depends on what you want. I'm doing a jazz/ blues gig, and am really digging Fiberskin top and bottom on my Clubdates. I tried it on an R&B, louder gig, and they just didn't cut. Went back to coated Ambos for that one. I don't think I've ever heard a head not work on them. Just did a session where the studio kit was 3 ply Luddies with DW coated/clears. Recorded great! View attachment 152014
just did a double take on your pic,the kik looked like 8 x 22!
Just the packing blanket tunnel for isolation. He even had the matching cannister throne....

garysym

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I liked the coated Ambies; then I tried Ludwig Mediums on my 1970 3-plies, and wow! The toms just sing with tonality and a nice resonant ring. I usually need to dampen them a little, but not much.

Enjoy those drums! They'll probably sound good with all kinds of different heads.