Best Heads for Ludwig Vistalites?

R

RickP

I would go with Aquarian Studio X with Power dot as my first choice.
Runner up would be Ludwig Silver dot heads
Honorable Mention would be Aquarian Response 2 clears

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
On my GoldnTimes acrylic, I put Aquarian Classic Clears top and bottom on the 13 and 16 toms; the Vistalite 22 kick has clear EMAD batter, clear Remo Ambassador w/felt strip/no hole resonant. Me likey.

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
This weekend I swapped the clear emporers for cs black dots
Something to my ear w the dots and the vistas just work perfectly
And I always liked the look as well

youngantiques

Reaction score
I can vouch for Ringo's Vistas.....they sounded good with coated emps. They also recorded really well.

Personally on my Vistas both vintage and new I have used the Evans Power Centers with G1's on the bottom. They have a similar vibe to the old Ludwig silver dots, but they sound way better.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
Probably not the most important criteria, but it seems like a clear drum would call for a clear head of some sort.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Fun 2 Drum said:
This is interesting. I have a Vistalite clear kit as well, and I may try coated ambassadors on my toms. I just put them all around on my wood kit and they're awesome with no muffling. What I am not at all happy with on my Vistalites are the Evans EC2's that are on them now. There's just no depth to them and they have a harsh overtone, and tuned low they just die. On the kick, I'm VERY happy with my Evans EMAD with a single ply Evans resonant. I also use a Kickport. No muffling at all besides the included ring. The kick sounds like a cannon you can feel in your gut with that config.
This is sort of an old thread and I was interested to see my old post in it now that I've got what I think are the perfect heads for my Vistas. Fast forward to today, and I have Remo CS Black Dots on the toms and a PS3 on the bass drum. They're what I used on the old Vistas back in 1980 when I was in high school, and they still sound best to me on these acrylic shells today. I don't say this often, but thanks for reviving this old thread.

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
myrablue said:
I know this is heresy, but when I had a vista kit I just put coated Emperors on top and clear Ambassadors on the bottom and the kit sounded phenomenal.

I don't much care for the sound of dotted heads. I don't think they breathe enough, but I understand why guys like them. They're just not for me.

I grew up being told that Vistas didn't record well, but I found that mine recorded REALLY well, and I had to wonder if it was the fact that everybody put those horrible dotted heads on them back in the '70s and '80s!!
i don't think it's heresy at all. in fact, a producer i did a ton of work for a few years ago had clear vistas in his studio for tracking, and that was the head configuration he used. they recorded amazingly; the sound was full and deep.
if i ever had a vista kit i would use coated ambassadors or emperors..
I think Emperors are a good idea when you have a lot of toms. I think you get a more contained sound and the drums don't run into each other. I think from looking at the kit, it's cool to have the heads and the shells be transparent, but the choice is totally dependent on what you are going to do with the drums. Are they for showin' or for blowin'.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Evans ec3 and demo pinstripes always sound good on my fibes. Haven't tried cs black dots.. I'm scared I'll end up with Bonham's "song remains the same" live sound.. which i think sucks

ObiWan

Hillbilly Drummist
Reaction score
I haven't read all the responses, so I may be a parrot here, but - Silver Dots over Diplomats or WM mediums...let 'em sing!

relayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Aquarian Modern Vintage are my heads of choice for my modern drums. On my vintage drums, I use Powerstroke3, Fiberskyn heads. Much better than the calf heads they're meant to emulate.

But on the Vistalites, I agree with those who have suggested coated Emperors for the batter head. There are many resos that will do the trick; I use Evans 360s clear G1s. I'm happy with my heads.

Good luck.

Stephen