Best heavy duty hardware case (for a sedan)

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Hey there everyone!

I just found out today that I'm going to be bringing my own drums on a short 4-day run of shows in August. I no longer have a hardware case and was hoping to get some insight on what to look for, as I will be doing a lot more touring in the future as well as playing locally. For this run, I'll be taking out a basic 5 piece kit with 4 cymbal stands, a double tom stand, snare stand, throne, hihat stand, and double pedals. I'm about to add a second bass drum to my kit and I also have an x-hat and 2 of the heavy duty DW counterweight boom stands that may or may not ever leave the house, but I'm aware that they probably won't fit into a hardware case anyways, which doesn’t bother me, but they do constitute as 2 of my usual 4 cymbal stands.

My gut says to just go with this SKB so I never have to worry about replacing it or upgrading to a larger one if I ever have to, but my car at the moment is 2015 Kia Optima. It's not the biggest but I can fit my full kit in there for sure without a hardware case. Ideally, the hardware case would fit in the trunk and I'm not too sure if the large SKB would do that, but it would probably fit in the backseat, leaving everything else to go into the trunk and the bass drum to ride shotgun, which I'd like to avoid. Is that large SKB too big for my purposes and for my trunk? I usually use DW 9000 hardware, but for this run of shows I'll be taking my Roadpro cymbal stands out which definitely don't take up as much real estate. I plan on trading in my car for an SUV at some point and the hardware case will also be going into a trailer as well, so I think the space issue is just temporary, but I don't want to get the biggest case I can if I'm not even going to come close to filling it out.

Any insight, thoughts, or suggestions? Kit pics for reference, cheers!

Attachments

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you given any thought to a soft bag for temp use? If it's also small enough it might fit into a hard case when you get to that point.

Keep in mind the more stuff you jam into any container the weight might make it prohibitive.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Have you given any thought to a soft bag for temp use? If it's also small enough it might fit into a hard case when you get to that point.

Keep in mind the more stuff you jam into any container the weight might make it prohibitive.
I wanted to add.....good luck with the tour. Sounds exciting.
Thanks for the kind words! It's been a while since I've played out on the road so it'll be fun even for just a few shows, it's a nice way to dip my feet back in.

As for the soft bag, it's not something I'm really interested in. I had a soft hardware case at one point and it left a lot to be desired. I like the hard cases because they hold their shape and things usually don't get jostled around too much, plus they can easily have things stacked on top of them. I will say, I was intrigued by the 48" Ahead hardware sled, I have a full set of Armor cases that I love and I'm tempted to go with that one but I'm not sure if it would be as rigid as I want.

Ideally, I'd like to fit my pedal case (or find a case that has the pedal tray) so that I can keep all of my gear condensed, but the pedal case isn't a dealbreaker.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
my favorites right now are a golf bag and a hockey bag...both have wheels....if you can find one use...or on sale....you'll be in good shape...

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
oh and drummingdeals.com has a wheeled bag for sale...seems short to me but...golf bag is pretty tall

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have an SKB golf case I got from another drummer buddy for $50. It fits in the backseat of my Dodge Magnum, which is considered a full sized wagon, so similar to the Charger. I like the golf case because I don't have to break any of the stands down beyond swinging the legs in, plus it fits my mic stand, the rug, and a couple fans. Your best bet is to measure the trunk and the opening to see if a golf case or the one you linked would fit. I have a feeling a golf case would be too big for the average trunk, but the one you listed would most likely fit.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
I have an SKB golf case I got from another drummer buddy for $50. It fits in the backseat of my Dodge Magnum, which is considered a full sized wagon, so similar to the Charger. I like the golf case because I don't have to break any of the stands down beyond swinging the legs in, plus it fits my mic stand, the rug, and a couple fans. Your best bet is to measure the trunk and the opening to see if a golf case or the one you linked would fit. I have a feeling a golf case would be too big for the average trunk, but the one you listed would most likely fit.
I've considered it, but it's a little bit longer than the big SKB I posted, although not quite as deep, which one of my big concerns is. I'm gonna pop by Fork's Drum Closet sometime this coming week to see what's available and what will fit in the trunk. The golf case could be a viable option though and the lazy ass in me loves the idea of just closing the legs rather than breaking everything all the way down.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I second the golf case. I own me for hardware for my kit I use when we do two a day gigs and my main kit stays in flight cases in the trailer.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know you're leaning hard case and now everyone's suggesting soft cases but I'll pile on... You've got beefy-looking heavy duty hardware based on the pics so a hard case especially seems like overkill. And is gonna weigh a friggin' ton. It's hardware, it doesn't need that much protection IMO. And hardcases can be tough to wiggle into tight spaces like a touring van, etc.

I'll also second the idea of breaking up your hardware into two bags. I did the all-in-one-bag thing for years and finally split it up and my back is glad I did. Currently I have one long mic stand bag for cymbal stands (no need to telescope them down) and a shorter PR bag for everything else:

IMG_2029.JPG