Best K Zildjian Ride?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the K custom medium regular K Ride would work. Most of the others seem a little dark and light and will get lost in the mix. I had a K light for a gig or two and sold it for that reason

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 20” K heavy ride I bought new around 97’ or 98’ that works great for Rock, funk, country, etc. It has a warmth to it that most “rock based” rides don’t have but it still cuts.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 20 inch K custom dark ride that was awesome. It was a little too much for jazz even though I added a rivet. I still regret selling it years ago. It would be great for blues, fusion and rock.

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 20” K heavy ride I bought new around 97’ or 98’ that works great for Rock, funk, country, etc. It has a warmth to it that most “rock based” rides don’t have but it still cuts.
I had an older 20” K Heavy Ride and I agree. It cut and had a good bell but was never harsh. It was my favorite “rock” ride, was stolen when loading out after a gig….

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
22 K light ride is my go-to all purpose ride - plenty of wash in addition to stick definition plus a bell that cuts, I love it.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dennis Chambers plays the 21” Organic ride. Looks cool.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This one.

002FE01B-AAE6-4A1D-B8FC-13859EC1F69B.png

Interestingly enough it’s called simple “K Ride”. A fundamental sound providing all the general attributes and sonic components of the K line.

There is enough ping to cut and enough wash to cushion the groove with some of that K crunch. Not too dry, not too glassy. The bell is pronounced but not icy. Can handle a crash with good tone if you know how to hit it.

I’ve got four or five K rides and this one seems to go to almost every gig whether I’m playing pop, rock, or funk.

Records well, too.

I know it’s not anything specialized or haute design, but I’m telling you it’s a satisfying and versatile cymbal.

It’s THE “K Ride”.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
22 K Dark Medium or a 24 K Light are my favorite 2.

Currently have a 22 K Custom Medium on my Beauford replica. It's pretty basic, but decent as well.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1 on the 20” K Heavy Ride. Picked mine up from a pawn shop about 7 years ago and it’s been my gigging ride ever since. My other K ride was a little too bright and ‘pingy’ and when I listened to playback it was too pronounced in the mix.
The heavy ride was just the right balance.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
This one.

View attachment 536456

Interestingly enough it’s called simple “K Ride”. A fundamental sound providing all the general attributes and sonic components of the K line.

There is enough ping to cut and enough wash to cushion the groove with some of that K crunch. Not too dry, not too glassy. The bell is pronounced but not icy. Can handle a crash with good tone if you know how to hit it.

I’ve got four or five K rides and this one seems to go to almost every gig whether I’m playing pop, rock, or funk.

Records well, too.

I know it’s not anything specialized or haute design, but I’m telling you it’s a satisfying and versatile cymbal.

It’s THE “K Ride”.
While I don’t own one of these, my good friend has one that I have played several times and heard from out front quite often. And it performs

It’s a good all around ride. I own a 20 K custom dark and I like it as a left side with a sizzle on it, but it can get lost in the mix with louder bands. Although It does have a great stick sound when recorded

I stick mostly with K Cons but “the K ride” from my experience is a better all around ride with more cut than the K custom dark

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What, in your opinion, is the best K Zildjian Ride for contemporary applications (rock, funk, fusion)?
diameter settled?
Could be a 20" Bounce.
Could be a 22"...

what type of lightness or heaviness is most compatible with you/your/style/.

Can come down to diameter and weight - no matter what the brand make or model. And only you know you.

Cymbals are not only Sound, They are response, motion. and your compatibility to push/move it around.
I've found once you can decide ( and agree with yourself ; ) on diameter and weight
The compatible cymbal comes clearer into view.
with some keeping of side avenues

Last edited:

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends how loud/pingy one needs it to be, but I find the 22" Constantinople Medium to be pretty wonderful.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a _huge_ fan of the 24" Light. It's a bit washy for some things, but for the type of music I'm playing it's just perfect.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the K Constantinople series. Alas, I don't own one anymore (never should have let that big band ride go) and they're too expensive for me to buy one now.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In answer to the question - you really have to try a few to find the ideal one.
Every K dark is slightly different for example.
I have two EAK Rides that are my favourites, one is quite dark and characterful, the other is very clean and modern sounding.
I like most of the K Zildjian and K Con rides, so for a specific purpose I would just try as many as I could access.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to use a 90s K Heavy ride. I liked it a lot, but it lost a shoot-out (in my ears) to a heavy-ish HH Sabian.