Best Metallica album? Ever.

DBT

Reaction score
Heyday. That's good music. My first major show was Pantera with type o negative. I was 11. Got stomped in the mosh pit. State fair grounds in Detroit. Live music is life changing.
Type O Negative great goth band .

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great story behind AND JUSTICE FOR ALL... Everybody thought Metallica was getting a Grammy for the album but not so...

In 1989, Metallica received its first Grammy Award nomination for "And Justice for All" in the new Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrument category. Metallica was the favorite to win but the award was given to Jethro Tull for the album Crest of a Knave.

The award was controversial with fans and the press; Metallica was standing off-stage waiting to receive the award after performing the song "One". Jethro Tull had been advised by its manager not to attend the ceremony because he was expecting Metallica to win. The award was named in Entertainment Weekly's "Grammy's 10 Biggest Upsets"

DBT

Reaction score
Off topic but you guys got me thinking about my 80’s metal days . Here’s a pic of Twisted Sisters album with my first Harley on the cover .

DBT

Reaction score
Off topic but you guys got me thinking about my 80’s metal days . Here’s a pic of Twisted Sisters album with my first Harley on the cover .

Attachments

• 0DFF5F4C-29C8-49F6-85D4-C5D7A2F7019C.jpeg
    0DFF5F4C-29C8-49F6-85D4-C5D7A2F7019C.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 22

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Newer stuff seems forced like they were desperate to feed the fan base .
Alright, I'm an old school Metallica aficionado, Kill em' all was my high school dirtbag anthem, going with that. One bite, everyone knows the rules.

Ride the lightning - great, almost equal. Master of Puppets their level-up album.

Justice - meh, the heart was there but it sounded like crap. That's when they started trying too hard.

After that I can't tell you. Enter sandman, whiskey in a jar or something like that. Don't care.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Master of Puppets, hands down. And weird production/speaker blowing bass drums aside, "And Justice For All" is a close 2nd for me.

I didn't like Metallica at all when they came out. As a teen whose taste in metal was Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio, Iron Maiden, and Queensryche, I wasn't ready for a vocalist who growled rather than sang. Several of my friends were into them, but I just wasn't down. Then, I saw Metallica open for Ozzy at Nassau Coliseum in 1986, when they were touring Master. It finally struck me. I got it.

Hetfield was more pissed off than Ozzy, Dio, Dickinson, or Geoff Tate... A lot more. He couldn't express that anger in a singing voice. Once I was open to it, I borrowed Master from my buddy and became a big fan. I'll never forget 2 years later, when I saw Metallica for the 2nd time, at Monsters of Rock at Giants Stadium. The spectacle of 70,000 people chanting "DIE" during Creeping Death is something I'll never forget. They were the 2nd of 5 bands, and they totally, unquestionably stole the show. It was quite a scene.

I never got with Kill 'Em All; I guess it was too raw for me, but I retrospectively got into Ride the Lightning.

DBT

Reaction score
Master of Puppets, hands down. And weird production/speaker blowing bass drums aside, "And Justice For All" is a close 2nd for me.

I didn't like Metallica at all when they came out. As a teen whose taste in metal was Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio, Iron Maiden, and Queensryche, I wasn't ready for a vocalist who growled rather than sang. Several of my friends were into them, but I just wasn't down. Then, I saw Metallica open for Ozzy at Nassau Coliseum in 1986, when they were touring Master. It finally struck me. I got it.

Hetfield was more pissed off than Ozzy, Dio, Dickinson, or Geoff Tate... A lot more. He couldn't express that anger in a singing voice. Once I was open to it, I borrowed Master from my buddy and became a big fan. I'll never forget 2 years later, when I saw Metallica for the 2nd time, at Monsters of Rock at Giants Stadium. The spectacle of 70,000 people chanting "DIE" during Creeping Death is something I'll never forget. They were the 2nd of 5 bands, and they totally, unquestionably stole the show. It was quite a scene.

I never got with Kill 'Em All; I guess it was too raw for me, but I retrospectively got into Ride the Lightning.
That was CRAZY !

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Close between Puppets and Justice for me, but I just like the songs on Justice a little more. There are a number of remixed Justice albums out there, so you can pick the amount of bass you want to add back in.

DBT

Reaction score
Up to and including Black all good . Justice and Black was where they really hit their commercial success and MTV . I’m going with Ride the Lightning .

katulu

Reaction score
Kill 'Em All for me, Black Album and the Garage Days Revisited ep are close seconds - not in terms of quality, but in terms of the number of times I've played them. I just rarely seem to reach for Ride, Justice or Master.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kill em All- there is an energy on that record that they never matched afterwards.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My big 4:
Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
And Justice For All
Black

There are bass-mashups for the
Justice album, on YouTube, titled as
"Justice for Jason". I like it.

Guess what: I recommend the original
Justice album as a PLAY-ALONG CD
for beginners and bassists who wanna
practice their chops and speed.
Just pop it in the player and jam
your own bass lines to it.

Reactions: DBT

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
Alright, I'm an old school Metallica aficionado, Kill em' all was my high school dirtbag anthem, going with that. One bite, everyone knows the rules.

Ride the lightning - great, almost equal. Master of Puppets their level-up album.

Justice - meh, the heart was there but it sounded like crap. That's when they started trying too hard.

After that I can't tell you. Enter sandman, whiskey in a jar or something like that. Don't care.
One Bite. Mom jeans.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Every time Metallica comes up as a topic on this forum, I’m reminded of the member who claimed in 2015
that Metallica were so drunk throughout the “Kill ‘Em All” sessions that “a lot
of that record was ghosted by local players.
I distinctly remember a jazz bass player dumbing down some parts for the recording and we all had a good laugh. At least half of the drum tracks were ghosted by local guys.”

Wait! The record sold 2 million copies … These “local guys” didn’t reveal themselves or sue for royalties?

Incredible.

Responding to Vistalite Black’s skepticism, the poster wrote:

“I was there. I saw it with my own eyes. Im sure they could have pulled it off if they were sober. Paul was fed up with their drunkenness and was just trying to get the record done. Im not saying the entire record was ghosted. I do know for a fact that other guys were playing drums, guitar and bass on some tracks. Again, Metallica was not known at the time.”

FWIW: I won’t name names, but several posters bought this far-fetched story:

“Considering everything I've read regarding this band and producer not getting along, this would't be that surprising.”

Wow
5A434D24-05E4-4E30-A8B3-FAB7C08C8905.png

Last edited: