header.nohb.html

Best Metallica album? Ever.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, late to this party...

The Black Album. I have a multi-channel mix of it on a DVD-Audio disc and it's freaking awesome. I need no other Metallica.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved And Justice For All

To me, it's the heaviest and the proggiest. It may have been mixed poorly, but I think that kind of contributes to its hard edge.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry, late to this party...

The Black Album. I have a multi-channel mix of it on a DVD-Audio disc and it's freaking awesome. I need no other Metallica.
Horrible mix. I have it as well. It sits in my pile of 200+ multichannel discs and never gets played. I was quite suprised to see this comment.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It seems many people like the overly produced albums rather than the pure raw energy of their first two albums. Eh, I guess we all have our own tastes. To each their own I guess.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It seems many people like the overly produced albums rather than the pure raw energy of their first two albums. Eh, I guess we all have our own tastes. To each their own I guess.
Not necessarily. Dave Mustaine remixed all of Megadeths albums back in '04. There were some positives to it, but lots of negatives. I still prefer the original recordings to the new mixes.

Metallica's change in processing starting with the Black Album finally got a "full sound" to their music. It was always too guitar or drum heavy and always lacked bass. Lars completely admits to this as he and James would always butt heads about who's instrument is more present. That all changed with Bob Rock coming in to produce. I think they new Bob was brought in for a reason and not to mess with how he does his work.

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
OT

Metallica doc on Netflix

Been out for a while so maybe it has been on the forum. A reminder then.

Makes Lars seems like a real dude.

I was surprised to see all the seemingly real footage of discussion and such.

Btw I like the early stuff. Master and ride but maybe that just what I’m used to.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
OT

Metallica doc on Netflix

Been out for a while so maybe it has been on the forum. A reminder then.

Makes Lars seems like a real dude.

I was surprised to see all the seemingly real footage of discussion and such.

Btw I like the early stuff. Master and ride but maybe that just what I’m used to.
I still have the original VHS of this somewhere.

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
Listening to St Anger for the first (yes….. I’m old).
That Lars…. If he sticks with it, he could be a jazz drummer some day. Haha only (partially) LOL. Dudes got chops, some cool fills/off beats, and puts up with a lot of drama. They are layin’ it down on St., but I’m still partial to the early albums. Snare is killer on St. tho.

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
And the winner is...........

KILL EM ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Opinions are something that everyone has ... To me, the riff in Slayer's "Raining Blood" is the sound I'll hear as I walk through the gates to everlasting damnation. It's pure evil, and it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

That said, I kind of agree with my son's view that Slayer had about three great riffs that they used again and again with varying success.

On the other hand, every successful band faces enormous pressure (from the record companies that pay them) to broaden their appeal, record a song that the ladies will like (or at least not hate), record a ballad, embrace more melody. Metallica made the Black Album, Megadeth recorded songs like "A Tout Le Monde," but Slayer remained Slayer until the bitter end. Also, without Slayer, I wonder if there'd be all the greybeard metal bands that exist now.

Metal has had plenty of ridiculous bands, but Slayer is not one of them.
I no longer allow myself to listen to that record while driving. It got too expensive.

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
Opinions are something that everyone has ... To me, the riff in Slayer's "Raining Blood" is the sound I'll hear as I walk through the gates to everlasting damnation. It's pure evil, and it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

That said, I kind of agree with my son's view that Slayer had about three great riffs that they used again and again with varying success.

On the other hand, every successful band faces enormous pressure (from the record companies that pay them) to broaden their appeal, record a song that the ladies will like (or at least not hate), record a ballad, embrace more melody. Metallica made the Black Album, Megadeth recorded songs like "A Tout Le Monde," but Slayer remained Slayer until the bitter end. Also, without Slayer, I wonder if there'd be all the greybeard metal bands that exist now.

Metal has had plenty of ridiculous bands, but Slayer is not one of them.
Agreed

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
My pick is Ride The Lightning. I became a fan when that record came out, then stopped listening when they released the black album.
Yes, Slayer might be limited in their songwriting capacity, but the drummer was always the true star of that band, IMO.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Metallica is my favorite band so I can’t say which is best. Favorite front to back would probably be Master of Puppets but my favorite song is Creeping Death from Ride the Lightning, but Black album was the first Metallica record I ever heard and I think Justice is awesome as well, my band is named after the song Blackened haha.