Best method for inlay mounting?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking for product experience with double-sided tape to replace inlay on Ludwig hoops. Thanks.

Edit: changed title for inclusion of methods beyond tape.

Last edited:

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've used DAP contact cement for inlays with great success.

*edited - you should probably try to clean up any glue/residue on the back of the inlay first. Afterwards you'll want to rough it up slightly with some sandpaper. You'll get a much stronger bond.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After reading a few threads about inlay replacement I leaned towards tape with the belief it could be a easier solution and perhaps commonplace in new builds. I gather proper glueing requires an abundance of clamping. I most prefer original staples however don’t have any. I currently have hoops where the staples alone keep the inlay seam in place and the claws seem to do the rest of the work. Ultimately, I’ll take all suggestions/experiences and/or staples if you have them. Thanks.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I used the DAP Weldwood contact cement to adhere hoop inlays on my Export kit. I don't think I used a lot of clamps as there's pressure applied inward just by pulling it tight around the hoop. Obviously you have to clamp at the end where it overlaps, but I think that's all I did.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You shouldn’t need clamps with contact cement, you put it on both surfaces and once it comes in “contact” with one another it’s done!

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
3M contact cement is what I’ve used.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lifetime of inlays

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for all the recommendations this far. I recall Precision directing to 3M 30NF contact cement. It appears either Grainger or online are options for a lifetime supply of 3M or Wilsonart H20 at big box stores. The concept of “contact” cement make more sense now so thank you. Seems easier and the proper way as long as time is given for it to properly dry before contacting. I gather the adhesive is a woodworking and flooring product. Unfortunate that it comes in such large quantities.

Any suggestions on vintage sized staples?

LBCD

Reaction score
I love using TiteBond wood glue, too, for inlay and also wrap itself. Works great and so much easier to use and cheaper than 3M "wrap" glue.
Titebond 111 is amazing, it’s my go to for almost everything...very fast curing time

dumbdrum

Reaction score
I just use a hot glue stick like you use for crafts. a couple of dots around the hoop and where they overlap.