Best modern match for Ludwig white interior paint?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about here before, but I could not get it to show up on a search. What is the best current paint match for white Ludwig interiors?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd go with melamine from Home depot, which can be tinted slightly ivory to give it an aged patina . There's also appliance enamel if you're good with spraying .

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
I took a sample piece of shell to Home Depot and they were able to provide me an exact match of custom blended paint. I got a small (pint?) container for less than $10.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Check my Jazzette restoration thread from March of 2018. Benjamin Moore paint was the original in the sixties but now that paint doesn't exist due to the lead content. I took my best Ludwig vintage shell into the paint store and came up with a factory color that was nearly a perfect match. If you don't find it in that thread, I've posted it on other threads. I think jccabinets had a thread where he recently created a jazz fest from scratch and I may have posted the info there, too......

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is my prior post:

"When I restored a Ludwig "jazzette" kit last March, I ended up repainting the inside but wanted them as close to factory specs as I could. So, I went with Benjamin Moore Regal semi gloss (N551 interior) and they had a color that nearly perfectly matched my '65 Pioneer (my best looking Ludwig white interior drum). Check out the match (note the paper sample under my finger, the left edge of the paper and the right edge just left of the left nut). The color is called Paper Mache (AF-25), a standard color. I got a gallon but barely used an 1" or so of it. I should have stuck with a quart...oh well. It is a thick paint that was hard to manage. I did 2 coats and it covered well and looks like my other vintage drum interiors. It was the right call."

White to shell.jpg

Latest posts