Best product to achieve a satin finish?

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought someone's home-made kit with keller maple shells. Sounds great, but the piano black wrap is a little drab for my taste and peeling/bubbling to boot. I'm hoping to remove the wrap, and give the shells a nice natural satin finish, not glossy.

The three products that I have seen most often recommended for this kind of finish are teak oil, flaxseed oil, or water-based poly. Does anyone have any experience with these, or can give some suggestions as to how to chose one over the others?

Thanks for any help!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I refinished a vintage Ludwig kit last year. I stripped off the wrap and did a mahogany stain on the mahogany outer layer then used Minwax satin poly applied by hand. 3 coats, sand 400, then 3 more coats, sand and a final coat....really turned out nice. The oils won't give you the satin sheen finish and are probably less durable too.

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Thanks! What was the mahogany stain that you used, and would you recommend using something similar on maple before starting with the satin poly?

How long did each coat of the poly take to dry?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My drums were 3 ply with mahogany outside. If I just did the poly, they would be too light for the color I wanted (trying to match a 60's vintage kit color). So I used Minwax Red Mahogany. Wipe on, wipe off. 3 coats. As for the Minwax poly, I wiped on a lot, let it sit 5 minutes, then wiped off. Sat 30 minutes, repeat. Then again, and let dry overnight. Then sand the next day, then again with 3 coats. Then on day 3, the final coat.

Unfortunately, Home Depot no longer carries Minwax although I think Lowes does.

The bass hoops were maple and they did not take the stain well. It's a dense wood with small grains so it's hard to stain. I saw a lot of YT vids and even tried the gel stains, but that was very messy and not much better. The hoops ended up with a lighter shade of the fundamental mahogany color which looks okay, but the correct finish would have been darker to match the kit color.

What color are you planning to stain the wood?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I put a pre-conditioner on the wood right before sanding. It is supposed to let the wood take the stain more evenly and avoid blotches. I think it worked well. The stain finish turned out nice and even.

As for that color, depending on the wood grain & color underneath, Minwax makes a natural color stain to give it an even plain finish.

Here is the wood before & after staining, and the final kit, as well as what I was shooting for. Note the snare on my kit is the original color and I got pretty close......the original hoops are darker than the kit. Mine were lighter and I added the strip of silver. Good luck!

J1.jpg
J2.jpg
J5.jpg
J4.jpg

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No question for me: regular (not water based) MinWax Clear Satin poly. I keep adding coats with 180 grit sanding between each coat until all traces of woodgrain are filled. Once I get to that point, I add one more coat of poly, finish sand with 220 grit paper, then a final coat, sometimes two. The result is always a lovely deep finish.

GeeDeeEmm

rock roll

Reaction score
I was going to do a project where I bought someone's unwrapped bass drum but someone beat me to it.
I had gone to lowes on advice of my painter friend that said they have a satin gloss paint.
They did have them tho not in a lot of colors , they also had 3 or 4 sparkle paints.
Check into them for something more than stain.
I like stain, don't get me wrong but you have options.
Good luck.