Best Sabian ride

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It looks to have the fat hammer marks of the HHX on it but doesn't look to have any bell hammering. Does it have any small ball peen hammer marks on the top and around the bell on the under side? If so there's a possibility that it could be a cut down HHX Legacy Heavy ride. Those only come in a 22" variant and there's a possibility that an edge crack or a big ding got the edge of the cymbal and it had to be cut down. Even with a mild re-lathe, the cut down aspect would still keep it in the "heavy" category for it's size. That could explain its washy nature and its clear bell. Not sure about the bad crash though. Legacy Heavy's still have a pretty nice crash. I still have mine in a box from moving so I cant check out how the cymbal thickness tapers and where it starts to get thin at the edge.

Legacy Heavy Top:

Legacy Heavy Bottom:

But this is all speculation. It could just be some random prototype they made while looking for a new sound.
It does look to have some small ball peen marks on the bell. BTW, I love to say "ball peen," so thanks for saying it first.

I guess there's some who would get off on crashing it, but it's just dull to me. But that's OK, I have two really great crashes, even though I bought one for a crash ride and I don't like the ride part. And it least it seems like they made it out of a quite good cymbal, whatever it used to be. I chose it out of 3 or 4 other highish priced cymbals and a 60's NS12 my buddy had for sale. I'll play it till I don't like it anymore.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It looks to have the fat hammer marks of the HHX on it but doesn't look to have any bell hammering. Does it have any small ball peen hammer marks on the top and around the bell on the under side? If so there's a possibility that it could be a cut down HHX Legacy Heavy ride. Those only come in a 22" variant and there's a possibility that an edge crack or a big ding got the edge of the cymbal and it had to be cut down. Even with a mild re-lathe, the cut down aspect would still keep it in the "heavy" category for it's size. That could explain its washy nature and its clear bell. Not sure about the bad crash though. Legacy Heavy's still have a pretty nice crash. I still have mine in a box from moving so I cant check out how the cymbal thickness tapers and where it starts to get thin at the edge.

Legacy Heavy Top:

Legacy Heavy Bottom:

But this is all speculation. It could just be some random prototype they made while looking for a new sound.

It does look to have some small ball peen marks on the bell. BTW, I love to say "ball peen," so thanks for saying it first.

I guess there's some who would get off on crashing it, but it's just dull to me. But that's OK, I have two really great crashes, even though I bought one for a crash ride and I don't like the ride part. And it least it seems like they made it out of a quite good cymbal, whatever it used to be. I chose it out of 3 or 4 other highish priced cymbals and a 60's NS12 my buddy had for sale. I'll play it till I don't like it anymore.
EDIT: Forgot to say thanks for the info and pics. My cymbal does resemble that, huh? Nice!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't think of a Sabian ride that I actually disliked ,even some of the HH Rock Rides were decent and as a rule I avoid this model from any manufacturer .

These are truly outstanding ones I've owned and sadly let go of -

22" HH Heavy @ 1992
21" AA Dry / 22" Paragon - kinda similar sonic reponse
22" Jam Master - Garibaldi Sig
20" El Sabor
20" HH Classic Ride

SteFlamTap

Reaction score
I like the HH Vanguard series. I have the 18/20/22 cymbals, very difficult to pick a favorite from those, probably the 22.

I would really like to try the Artisan series.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
EDIT: Forgot to say thanks for the info and pics. My cymbal does resemble that, huh? Nice!

I have to make a correction, I unpacked my SR2 heavy bottom hat and it only has the small hammer marks on it, so I'm thinking it was formerly a prototype 15" HH Fusion hat bottom.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought of another that I would love to get my hands on again . The Sabian 18” El Sabor Cymbal - a try crashable ride cymbal - as good a crash as a ride and a killer bell .

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just thought of another that I would love to get my hands on again . The Sabian 18” El Sabor Cymbal - a try crashable ride cymbal - as good a crash as a ride and a killer bell .

El Sabors were designed to be played by hand, right? Weren't they developed with the Latin percussion players in mind? I didn't know they hade a ride style cymbal in that line up.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
El Sabors were designed to be played by hand, right? Weren't they developed with the Latin percussion players in mind? I didn't know they hade a ride style cymbal in that line up.
The one I am talking about is the original - it is not one of the Picante models designed to be played by hand or stick .

The 18” AA El Sabor was a very nice ride and crash with a killer bell . I was very impressed with them . Would be ideal for a one cymbal setup.