Best snare cases.... especially for a 14x8

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
case 1.jpg
case 2.jpg
case 3.jpg

Welp... this isn't the most lightweight option, but then again neither is a cast bronze snare. I decided to opt for maximum protection and I have to say, this is an amazing case for a deep snare that you'd want to survive the zombie apocalypse. Pelican 0340 cube. This thing has nice locking casters and a fold out luggage handle so I can stack other gear on it and roll out. I'm now in the process of adding bright caution tape around the case since Latzanimal brought up a very good point about bright cases.

Up2Speed

Reaction score
View attachment 380057 View attachment 380058 View attachment 380059
Welp... this isn't the most lightweight option, but then again neither is a cast bronze snare. I decided to opt for maximum protection and I have to say, this is an amazing case for a deep snare that you'd want to survive the zombie apocalypse. Pelican 0340 cube. This thing has nice locking casters and a fold out luggage handle so I can stack other gear on it and roll out. I'm now in the process of adding bright caution tape around the case since Latzanimal brought up a very good point about bright cases.
That is an impressive case. I have never seen one.

The Protection Racket AAA cases are outstanding as well.

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
That Latz guy don't know no nuttin'

Glad you found something...

Last edited:

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had success buying up old, damaged fiber cases and installing new rivets and straps to make them new. The Anvil and Humes&Berg cases hold up well and often sell cheap if slightly damaged. Guess I'm just a bottom-feeder ????
Nothing wrong with fixing And restoring ...ever.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
+1 enduro

King Kong Cases
I use SKB but have also owned Enduro and a few other molded plastic cases and they all work just fine but there is nothing sexy about any of them, they are all utilitarian plastic cases.

If you want something special, go with Buz King's King Kong Kase like Frank said, those are sexy. I have one. I bought a Sonor D 508X off a Fella in Germany and he shipped it in one of Buz's original cases, couldn't believe it, the cases alone is probably worth three bills. Anyway they are very cool and will certainly protect that beautiful snare of yours. I use mine at shows as an end table next to my hats and put extra sticks, drinks, set list and the like on it.

King Kong Cases have a page on Facebook where I saw this special order in white, now that would be cool.
37905980_10156464703189330_8918743655955562496_n.jpg
37949222_10156464703194330_4866623049346056192_n.jpg

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
H&B with foam lining. I have had the same 13" snare case from them for 20 years and it still in great shape.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use SKB but have also owned Enduro and a few other molded plastic cases and they all work just fine but there is nothing sexy about any of them, they are all utilitarian plastic cases.

If you want something special, go with Buz King's King Kong Kase like Frank said, those are sexy. I have one. I bought a Sonor D 508X off a Fella in Germany and he shipped it in one of Buz's original cases, couldn't believe it, the cases alone is probably worth three bills. Anyway they are very cool and will certainly protect that beautiful snare of yours. I use mine at shows as an end table next to my hats and put extra sticks, drinks, set list and the like on it.

King Kong Cases have a page on Facebook where I saw this special order in white, now that would be cool.View attachment 380080View attachment 380081

I have to say that is gorgeous. I will have to get one of those King Kongs for my Mockeltree build. If I had seen any pro flight cases for a deep snare already built anywhere on the internets I would have gone that route. Seems like people who have them keep them forever and rarely sell them. I'll custom order one next time. Thanks for sharing!

m_anderson

Reaction score
You folks must be really tough on your drums if you need these really heavy duty cases. That stuff is for touring. I gigged for years with no cases at all. Wrapped all my hardware in a quilt.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
Can't comment on the hard case.
As far as bags Beato Pro1 by a landslide.
I have Ahead, Protection Racket and Humes And Berg Drum Seeker bags as well. All purchased before my Beato Pro1. Now I only buy Beato.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can't comment on the hard case.
As far as bags Beato Pro1 by a landslide.
I have Ahead, Protection Racket and Humes And Berg Drum Seeker bags as well. All purchased before my Beato Pro1. Now I only buy Beato.
I was a Protection Racket man.
Now when I need additional bags its only Ahead.

Stretch

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Didn't that case make a cameo in one of the Star Wars movies as a droid?

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last night I had to resort to the card board box of my new bass drum while waiting for the ordered 14x20 Ahead case.

I hope it comes in quick; that thing is hard to get a good hold on it to pickup with the drum inside.

sherm

PS: More to come withing the next day or so about the new set.

Zalloy

Reaction score
I have a set of SKB cases for my kit that I've been using for the past 20+ years. never had a problem. well padded on all sides... still holding up well.
been very happy with them.

Just recently ordered a 14x8 cast bell bronze snare so in anticipation of this I ordered me a SKB "padded" case.

I was a bit surprised to find that the sides are not thick padded like the old ones. it just like carpet lined... and that's it. Top and bottom of the case still has the thick padding.
While this is all well and good it you stack them, very little protection when sitting them up right(drum on it's sides).

little disappointed.

I can only see two reasons for this. one, to save manufacturing cost, and two, you now don't have to order one size up to fit your toms with rims or any bulky mounts and snares with bulky strainer. This is all well and good but I'd rather much prefer to order one size up and have the additional side protection.

I ordered it though an authorized dealer online so I'm not gonna bother sending it back since the shipping would be cost prohibitive.

it's a 14" case so I'll use it or something.

H&B and other case manufacturers still produce their hard lined case with nice thick side padding. SKB need to rethink think their approach.

That King Kong case is looking mighty tempting.

Last edited:

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a set of SKB cases for my kit that I've been using for the past 20+ years. never had a problem. well padded on all sides... still holding up well.
been very happy with them.

Just recently ordered a 14x8 cast bell bronze snare so in anticipation of this I ordered me a SKB "padded" case.

I was a bit surprised to find that the sides are not thick padded like the old ones. it just like carpet lined... and that's it. Top and bottom of the case still has the thick padding.
While this is all well and good it you stack them, very little protection when sitting them up right(drum on it's sides).

little disappointed.

I can only see two reasons for this. one, to save manufacturing cost, and two, you now don't have to order one size up to fit your toms with rims or any bulky mounts and snares with bulky strainer. This is all well and good but I'd rather much prefer to order one size up and have the additional side protection.

I ordered it though an authorized dealer online so I'm not gonna bother sending it back since the shipping would be cost prohibitive.

it's a 14" case so I'll use it or something.

H&B and other case manufacturers still produce their hard lined case with nice thick padding. SKB need to rethink think their approach.

That King Kong case is looking mighty tempting.
What snare are you getting? I feel that the sheer weight of these drums warrant extra protection because a drop could really wreck my drum and probably most cast bronzes. I've heard that cast bronze can shatter and I don't want to try my luck. I almost went with a square hard case but a case that sits on the side would be dangerous for my throw off and buttplate because the contact points are pretty small and something could give if the wrong person "set down" my drum. I would use H&B or SKB for any of my other drums with total confidence though. Let us know what you decide on!

Zalloy

Reaction score
What snare are you getting? I feel that the sheer weight of these drums warrant extra protection because a drop could really wreck my drum and probably most cast bronzes. I've heard that cast bronze can shatter and I don't want to try my luck. I almost went with a square hard case but a case that sits on the side would be dangerous for my throw off and buttplate because the contact points are pretty small and something could give if the wrong person "set down" my drum. I would use H&B or SKB for any of my other drums with total confidence though. Let us know what you decide on!
I have a Oriollo coming.

I'm thinking either going custom ATA route or your way... I have a few Pelican cases and I love them. really well made and the "pick and pluck" foam system is awesome. not sure why I didn't think of that solution sooner.

Last edited:

Latest posts