best sound from an unlikely source

wtc

Reaction score
Many of you must have a story about how you took an apparently mediocre individual drum, cymbal, and/or set up and made it sound surprisingly good through head selection, tuning, moongel, duct tape, miking, voodoo and pure luck.

My own minor triumph was putting a Jack DeJohnette Aquarian Batter on a Big R Dynasonic. Completely transformed the feel and sound. 'Fat' and 'Dry' at the same time (if that's possible).

What did you do?

Dude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mid 1980's....

Clear Vistalites
Single headed (no reso's on the toms or kick)
Black Pinstripe heads (wtf?)
Deadringer foam rings (WTF?)
Close mic'd inside the shells with Shure SM57's

Sounded pretty bad ass at the time to me.

DrumminLefty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ran across a Ludwig 8x12 Chrome-O-Wood. Rims were bent,tension rods so rusty I threw them away. Pinstripes top and bottom. Interior and edges were like new. New rims,rods and, coated Ambassadors top and bottom. One of the best 12" toms I ever played. Might have been a 4ply shell. I always wondered where the rest of the set was,and if it sounded as good as this drum.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I recently picked up my Fibes fiberglass chrome covered "players drum" (code for beat up piece of sh#t).
Original rims were warped and tightened down so tight the heads were pulling out. I almost sent it back but decided to try and waken it up from the dead. Extremely deep beds. So, I threw on a pair of Pearl Superhoops, through new heads and wires on it, greased up the rods (and replaced some of them).

Viola' Now my absolute favorite snare.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
my current playing kit
ludwig 6 ply 11x12 clear amb batter with a emp. reso
ludwig 6 ply 12x15 same head combo
ludwig 6 ply 14x20 PS3 batter with an aquarian articulator reso.

bad ass!!!
i knew about the kick drum combo from a 14x18 keller shell kick
but the tom head combo came to me on the 12x15, i really couldn`t believe how deep and powerful it sounded, it is still very resonant with a really nice tone. so i tried it on the 11x12, same story. not so sure this would work well on shallower toms like an 8x12.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
28" Ludwig B/O Marching Bass Drum. Bought it cheap thinking it was champaigne sparkle. After cleaning, it turns out it was silver sparkle. :shock:
Anyhoo, soundwise, it had plastic Premier heads on it cranked up real tight. Kept one for the reso and put a 5 inch port in it, set it up about one full turn past wrinkle stage with a felt strip. I put a Remo Amb on the batter, with an Evans patch , layered the bottom with a folded up piece of realy heavy material(the kind they used to make stage curtains, drapes etc.). I use a felt beater on it and WOW!!! Talk about double-takes from people. Blew the lead singers goofy hat right off!! :cheers: :cheers: :wink:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
8x10 & 10x14 's I use Clear Aquarian Double thins on bottom, coated Aquarian Double thins on top.
This combo is great for small gigs. The small toms are easy to pack (when I have speakers, amps, guitars, etc) and still have a pretty low sound.

For my 8x12 & 16x16 I have found after going through Ludwig Coated, Coated Emps, Clear Emps, Double ply Aquarians, to finally the sound I wanted.... Classic Clear Aquarian 1 ply top and bottom.
They still have a nice deep tone, but react to the softer playing.

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Had a b/o Acro. Coated Ambassador head was shot, so I put a lightly-used Pinstripe on it, tuned medium-high. It sounded amazing! A nice smack, with just a tad of dryness. Try it!

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
poot said:
Had a b/o Acro. Coated Ambassador head was shot, so I put a lightly-used Pinstripe on it, tuned medium-high. It sounded amazing! A nice smack, with just a tad of dryness. Try it!

that fatass 70`s sound.

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got this early Superstar with Evans coated batter and hazy snare. They didn't get it done on this birch beauty, too raspy and thin. Aquarian Double-Thin on top and clear snare side, it's a one of my favorites! Only snare I've got with a double ply head and it's sensitive with plenty of body.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Probably the Frankenstein kit that I had for a while---a Tama Rockstar bass, Acrolite (good so far), generic 8&10 rototoms, an Apollo 12 chrome over steel mounted tom and a generic Japanese floor tom that had been spray painted (badly) black. I put clear Ambassadors on the roto's, an Attack clear with tone ridge on the Apollo, and a Pinstripe on the floor. For cymbals, a 16" Zildjian heavy band cymbal for a ride, a cracked Paiste 2002 15 and 18 Crash, and Sabian AA hats. They actually sounded pretty good. The crashes had so much metal chopped out of them that they were extremely dry, almost affect cymbals instead of crashes, the roto's and the Apollo blended well together, and the floor tom had a good low end "whump" when I really layed into it. The Rockstar was a good, punchy little drum, and of course the Acrolite was stellar. I think that I had about $300 in the whole thing, not counting the cymbals.

panickjm

Reaction score
REMO 13x4 snare tuned real low and sloopy on the snare wires......sounded like crap but recorded brilliantly ! cost $90.00 new! :lol: