Best sounding China cymbal

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all.
If you had to choose 1 China, what would you get/keep?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a super thin 19” Paragon that I like. It’s fantastic on the Charlie Watts crash thing. But right now I’d like a 22 with about 30 rivets

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven’t played tons...but I can highly recommend Sabian HH. Some of the ufips are cool too. Zildjian oriental trash sound good to me as well.

Jorn

Reaction score
The 19” Paragon and 22” Paiste 602 Modern Essential are the most ear pleasing to me.

Ptrick

Reaction score
I like any China with the extra wide flange, ie Paragon, Zildjian Oriental CLASSIC chinas, and all the Istanbul Agop China’s (they all use the wide lip). My two favorite right now are a 22 Agop Traditional China and a 20 Istanbul Agop Xist 20” Power China that can be had for a song.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm stuck on my 18" Meinl Brilliant Byzance, it does it all for me. 2nd and 3rd vote are the Zildjian Oriental or Zildjian A Custom both in 18".

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I LOVE the older Zildjian 18" Swish with rivets. If you are looking for a china that you can even play ride patterns on, these are it. I like them because they have only a "hint" of china to them and not the brash, overbearing tones that most chinas exhibit. I tried a 20" version, as well, but it just didn't have the fine qualities of the 18."

GeeDeeEmm

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've owned a LOT of chinas from the Big 3 makers to Wuhan and a few Turkish brands.

After all those, the one's I've kept are:

20" UFiP Rough Series
17" Meinl Custom Shop
18" Sabian AA Fast Chinese w/6 rivets
22" Soultone FXO6 w/4 rivets

The first two are for rock & pop and the second two are for jazzy playing

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Besides Sabian, I had never played any of those brands before in my life. I don't even know if I've seen them at music stores?
Anyway, I needed to see if I could get a little scratch taken care of at Bucks Co Drums. They make some real nice custom kits, but they were a bit pricey.
Anyway, the owner let me play of some real nice kits. I saw UFIP cymbals on one of the kits, and thought "why would he put crap cymbals on this"
Anyway, I started playing em, and they sounded amazing! The line he had sounded a lot like Paiste.
I love my 18 2002, and idk if I can find something that would be close, but the UFIPs definitely wowed me!

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I played about a dozen Chinas this last year in a quest. I landed on a Zildjian Oriental CLASSIC. For me it was just perfect, but there is a very wide spectrum of China type cymbals out there.
If you're interested at all I still have a Sabian HH that I would sell as well as a Paiste 2000 that's in kind of rough shape.

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Wuhan 16" China. I've had mine since 1999 got it from GC. They were running a special buy any Zildjian A cymbal get a Wuhan 16" China for free. I bought a 8"A splash . Both cymbals are still holding up and that china has been hit every way imagine. Very good cymbal no cracks, keyholing, and very durable.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
One of my friends has an old A. Zildjian 20 or 22 Swish with about 5000 rivets in it (I honestly never counted, but it's a ton of them!), and it is a thing of beauty. Wish she didn't like it so I could talk her out of it.

Reaction score
IMO , Nothing beats a Wuhan. There inexpensive and sound exactly like a China should. When I had my old company it was one of our best sellers. In fact we didn’t even carry China’s from anyone else. I think there outstanding.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wuhan chinas don't have a note. any. none. They are white noise. Just saying
They don't have tone in any western cymbal sense. They're a noise. which is ok
When you buy one you'll see; reminded me of costume jewelry looks like a cymbal just a noise device.

Last edited:

kallen49

Reaction score
Wuhan chinas don't have a note. any. none. They are white noise. Just saying
They don't have tone in any western cymbal sense. They're a noise. which is ok
When you buy one you'll see; reminded me of costume jewelry looks like a cymbal just a noise device.
Thanks! that exactly describes how my 16” Wuhan sounds. If you need a “clap” sound (“white noise”) get a Wuhan. As others have noted an older A Zildjian “swish”, or “pang” as I once had, will make a note as well as some white noise.

Reactions: JDA

Latest posts