Best sounding popcorn - affect snare

Paradiddle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I tired the LP 8" affect snare and it didn't work for me. Who has used one of those little special effect snares that still sound enough like a snare and which one did you settle on?

Thanks,

Jeff

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What didn't you like about the LP? Do you have an example recording of the sound you're going for? The LP snares have always sounded great for that type of sound, to my ears.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
My three smallest snares are all 5x12"

Gretsch FreeFloating maple
RocketShell Carbon Fiber (12x5.5 actually)
Pearl Firecracker Poplar

The Gretsch sounds best to me but I enjoy them all

Edit: forgot my Premier 6x12" XPK anniversary edition.

Last edited:

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
This little 10x5.5” Tama SLP Maple serves me well as a popcorn snare. Real snare sound but short and “poppy” sound and has good volume. Pretty cheap also.

8B7467F2-A48F-4F6A-8409-A6154A2AE963.jpeg

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think about a little pork pie I used to have and sold (why?). Wasn't the cheaper import model, was a legit made in USA but in a deep 10". That thing was great. Years later I actually replaced it with a Craviotto 12". Obviously a fantastic drum, but for me 12" brought it too close to regular snare drum territory, if I ever go that way again I'll go 10".

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something like this:

This one is actually only 30 minutes away from me, might have to send a pm...

Paradiddle

DFO Master
Reaction score
What didn't you like about the LP? Do you have an example recording of the sound you're going for? The LP snares have always sounded great for that type of sound, to my ears.

It didn't seem "snarey" enough if that makes sense. I'm looking for a tone similar to this - around the 1:40 mark or the 6:30 mark

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something like this:

This one is actually only 30 minutes away from me, might have to send a pm...

Nice, but it seems a little pricey, considering you can get a brand new American made PP 14x8 snare for the same $300.

Reactions: owr

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm totally out of the loop on PP pricing, not a brand I've purchased much of. But good to know in case I decide to go for it myself!

Regardless of price though, this is probably the popcorn snare that I have liked the most, per the OPs question.

Nice, but it seems a little pricey, considering you can get a brand new American made PP 14x8 snare for the same $300.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm totally out of the loop on PP pricing, not a brand I've purchased much of. But good to know in case I decide to go for it myself!

Regardless of price though, this is probably the popcorn snare that I have liked the most, per the OPs question.

I'm a Pork Pie guy, and love them. Cool brand.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had one of the Gretsch Free Floating 5.5x10 snares for a while. I even used it as a main snare with a micro kit live a few times. Very versitile.

Attachments

• image-3282383172.jpg
    image-3282383172.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 14

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had a few 10"ers. Right now I have one that was made with a Phattie shell. Another I loved was a Grover. I think the trick to making a 10 sound great is great edges.

I think I also had a PDP acrylic...that wasn't bad.

If you're at all handy I'd think about the DIY route. There are a lot of 10" toms on Ebay...add your own bed and snare hardware...tada!

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you all find that these 10” popcorns also provide a useable timbale sound as well?