header.nohb.html

Best value drum rug?

cap217

Reaction score
I assume the dw is the best one but it’s $200. I read some reviews that it actually sticks to the floor and can ruin the floor. Not sure how common that is.

Is it worth 2x the price?

premierplayer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Walmart, Depot, Marshalls any of the big box, $20

stick2it

Reaction score
I like the looks of an old oriental carpet under drums, but they can be heavy, dirty, slippery, and not nice outdoors in wet weather.

For a drum rug, you can't beat an Enviroback Charcoal 60 in. x 36 in. Recycled Rubber/Thermoplastic Rib Door Mat $21.97

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traffic...c-Rib-Door-Mat-60-443-1902-30000500/202072107

It's durable, it's cleanable, it prevents slippage of drums and hardware, it's not particularly heavy, it's not distracting (no odd colors or patterns), it's made of recycled materials, and it has no drum company's logo on it (which, if it did, would cost you money for their advertising).

It seemed my local Home Depot was hiding these mats so people would buy one of the more expensive ones displayed eye-level. But the online site showed nearly 100 of them in stock. Had to ask an employee to use a lift to get one for me from a pallet of them located high-up on the steel display system.

My Canopus Bop kit and lightweight hardware (but for my throne) fits on it fine. I've used it on turf, wood decking, concrete, and gravel. I have a braided red cord that I use to secure it in a roll for easy transporting.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the Crash Pad. It has weighted corners and a built in, carpet covered block, so even if your spurs fail, the drum stays put. It also rolls up and fits in my stand case. It used to cost $40 when I got both of mine... now it costs $60 at sam ash and amazon.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the looks of an old oriental carpet under drums, but they can be heavy, dirty, slippery, and not nice outdoors in wet weather.

For a drum rug, you can't beat an Enviroback Charcoal 60 in. x 36 in. Recycled Rubber/Thermoplastic Rib Door Mat $21.97

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traffic...c-Rib-Door-Mat-60-443-1902-30000500/202072107

It's durable, it's cleanable, it prevents slippage of drums and hardware, it's not particularly heavy, it's not distracting (no odd colors or patterns), it's made of recycled materials, and it has no drum company's logo on it (which, if it did, would cost you money for their advertising).

It seemed my local Home Depot was hiding these mats so people would buy one of the more expensive ones displayed eye-level. But the online site showed nearly 100 of them in stock. Had to ask an employee to use a lift to get one for me from a pallet of them located high-up on the steel display system.

My Canopus Bop kit and lightweight hardware (but for my throne) fits on it fine. I've used it on turf, wood decking, concrete, and gravel. I have a braided red cord that I use to secure it in a roll for easy transporting.
I think a lot of players would need something bigger than a 3’x5’ rug, like at least one that is 4’ or deeper. I’ve always had 4’x6’ rugs and could easily see the need for a 5’x7’ come up with larger kits.

prodigy4299

Reaction score
I just got this one off Thomann:

Highly recommend!

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thrift store, second hand carpet or rug. they're also lighter and easier to roll up.
I saw Billy Cobham play live on a giant oriental carpet in the mid-70's. Looked awesome.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can tell you what not to buy. Meinl rubber backed drum rug.
First. the rubber backing smell was overpowering and obnoxious.
Second. when it got wet outdoors, the black rubber leached black coloring into the rug and significantly darkened the reds and blues.
Third.my spur lok hi hat gripper at the heel plate grabbed and tore out a loop of carpet and pulled a run in it.
Overall assessment. Overpriced crappolla.

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use a rubber-backed entrance rug I got from Home Depot for about $20. I forget the exact size, but it's just big enough for my bass drum and pedal. I don't see the need for a carpet big enough for all my stands to fit on.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I got mine from Ikea a few years back, for about $15. It's big enough to fit the entire kit and stands, which is great to mark off my territory on stage. I don't think they carry it anymore, so when it's time for replacement I'll go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get an entryway mat or something. I had one before and the rubber was heavy and eventually fell apart, so I'd get something with a thinner rubber backing.

rsmittee

Reaction score
Thrift Store for knock off Persians and the like. Even Target and such....

Buying a drum rug from a drum mfg is ricockulous imho. Hell, why not have it work AND look cool?
I bought my knock of Persian for $25 from some dude selling them out of his van on the side of the road. I've had mine for 20+ years, and played hundreds of gigs and rehearsals with it. And yes I still have it.