Best way to clean/ polish a vintage copper cowbell.?

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like the title says ....I've recently acquired a Slingerland kit from the mid 60's. It came with Ludwig 1400 cymbal stands and what looks like a Ludwig copper colored cowbell. I cannot find a Ludwig logo but that's unimportant to me. It was wrapped in electrical tape so there's residue all over it and decades of tarnish. The rest of the kit is damn near collectors grade so I want to restore this cowbell as close to original as.possible. What cleaner/ polish works best after the dawn Bath etc..? Thanks in advance

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Salt and vinegar, make a paste and scrub it. You can also use a lemon, cut it in half, dip it in salt and scrub away. Any combo of acid and salt works, even ketchup will work.

If it’s got a LOT of patina, heat may help - put it in a pot with 3:1 mix of water:white vinegar and a tbsp or so of salt. Bring it to a boil and the patina should come off.

Probably some combination of the above methods will work well. Maybe the boiling thing, with some scrubbing for the finishing touch.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
If it were me, goo gone followed by fine steel wool wouldn't leave that weird coloring that an acid strip usually does.

Latest posts