Best way to get residue off drumhead after peeling off beater pad

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just tried taking off an Aquarian Super-Thin beater pad off a clear powerstroke 3 bass drumhead and it didn’t all come off and left some residue. Anybody know the safest way to get it off? Thanks

Loud

Reaction score
I’m guessing Dawn would be safe but don’t know how effective.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warm it with a hair dryer and it should just ball up when you rub it with your fingers Barring that, Lighter fluid. But don't use the lighter! Lol.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing Dawn would be safe but don’t know how effective.
That would definitely probably be safe. I read WD-40 works and tried it once and it worked but not sure if it would damage the head or not. So I was just trying to see if anybody had a better idea. Maybe I’ll just try Dawn.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mayonnaise. just a little dab on a paper towel or something.

Some mild dish detergent after that to get the oily stuff off.

Trust me on this. Thank me afterward.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just sprayed some WD-40 on it left it on there for a few minutes and then lightly scrubbed it off and everything came off. I did it while it was on the bass drum tensioned up which is probably good too. Maybe I’ll try your guys methods next time. Oh yeah I also put a little damp cloth to get the WD-40 off just to wipe everything down and then dried it off

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also had to take off an Aquarian kick pad last year and had the same issue. I remember reading somewhere about using liquid butane as a great way to get rid of the (aftermath) adhesive. I bought it then and it was excellent. You put it on and it wipes the adhesive right off. Leaves no residue or staining. It's not greasy like WD-40! The head was perfect and undamaged. I tried it on a clear head.
This stuff:
e58f5d89-5f17-4544-8035-30034ec5a17a_1.b8d69c99ecb9b99eda9da43749f167af.jpeg

JTBates

Reaction score
Just chiming in here to say you all made me happy that you are taking those g0$%mn patches off of your bass drum heads.