Best way to label my name on an SKB snare case?

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
What's the best way to put my name on a molded plastic SKB snare case? Something that won't come off obviously, and probably something that I can put on both the lid and base. The plastic isn't smooth so my label maker stickers won't stay (I don't think). It's this model:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
An engraver then paint the voids or low-tech spray paint with a stencil.

A nice looking way might be to get custom name plates from a trophy/plaque shop and rivet them on.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Name on plaque is a nice idea and very custom. A little harsh but you can also melt/carve name in w/a soldering tip. Practice on plastic 1st.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paint pen...the type with the ball that you shake up like a can of spray paint.

Permanent, great for rough surfaces, relatively cheap, and available at AC Moore and Walmart...

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't forget to put your Social Security # on it! :)

Just kidding...use a sharpie.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Silver sharpie. Acetone or nail polish remover can remove it if necessary

Attachments

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Have your name changed to Scott K Bashford. Presto, all your cases are now marked.

drumrman2002

Reaction score
A paint marker would work if it doesn't need to be too 'pretty'. If you want something that looks professionally stenciled, PM me and I'll make you a pair of masking stencils using my vinyl cutter (no charge). Buy a rattle can of Krylon fusion spray paint(made for plastic), apply the stencil, mask to prevent over spray and shoot it. It'll look like it came from the factory. Bruce

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
drumrman2002 said:
A paint marker would work if it doesn't need to be too 'pretty'. If you want something that looks professionally stenciled, PM me and I'll make you a pair of masking stencils using my vinyl cutter (no charge). Buy a rattle can of Krylon fusion spray paint(made for plastic), apply the stencil, mask to prevent over spray and shoot it. It'll look like it came from the factory. Bruce
Nice!
Coy

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I used spray paint on all of my 11 cases. I picked up stencils and just went at it. All I have is my initials, but it helps identify from other guys cases.

The pen is a cool idea though, I think I'll go back and add numbers to my snare cases.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Engraving is ok, unless you think you may ever sell the case. The block stencil is certainly the most rock and roll of all the choices/

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Never knew engraving would destroy the value of cases. Heck, I can't afford 1920's Ludwig snares, maybe I'll start collecting cases.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
swarfrat said:
Never knew engraving would destroy the value of cases. Heck, I can't afford 1920's Ludwig snares, maybe I'll start collecting cases.
Not value loss, but practicality. Would you want your name on a case running around who knows where? However a stencil is easy to paint over.

Pretty big jump to that conclusion though...

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bought myself a gold Sharpie today and will give that a whirl. Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mongrel said:
Paint pen...the type with the ball that you shake up like a can of spray paint.

Permanent, great for rough surfaces, relatively cheap, and available at AC Moore and Walmart...
This is what I use. Works great. The specific product I use is made by DecoColor and called "opaque paint marker." Color is 300-S white.

$7.20 from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Marvy-Uchida-DecoColor-Markers-UCH300SSLV/dp/B003ICT7SI/ref=sr_1_2/155-9387472-7750538?ie=UTF8&qid=1488415439&sr=8-2&keywords=decocolor+opaque+paint+markers

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Just for the record, my name isn't Jan. I give my drums names so I know what's in each case. Anyone want to guess what's in Jan?

Latest posts