Best way to move a large pile of expensive drums across the country?

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a 6 piece kit with two 26" bass drums. They are 2,000 miles away from me. They are also in mint condition, so I'd like to not risk damage if at all possible.

Anyone have a feasible option that doesn't involve me flying out there and renting a Uhaul to bring them back?

Thanks!

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greyhound is pretty cheap shipping. Not everyone has easy access to the stations for drop off of pickup though. All depends on how well they are packed no matter how you ship.

PJM

Reaction score
Hey as a UPS employee I can tell you the best way to do it is if you do decided to ship them though us or another national carrier. The trick is to make sure you double box them, in other words pack the drums in one box and then put that in another padded box. I unload a lot of the freight and can tell you to minimize damage that is the best way to do it if you do decide to ship that way. There isn't really a cheap way to do it. I ran into this same problem a while ago with a guitar amp. That would at least help lessen the risk of damage if you do ship. Good luck!

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't say anything about needing it to be cheap, I just don't have time to go out there.

bcarey13

Team Bonham
Reaction score
Maybe some forum member wants to make a few bucks and can get them, then pack and ship.....just a thought.

PJM

Reaction score
If cost isn't a big concern maybe look into Uship. It's an online site that sets up private carriers across the country. That might work

Fayray

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
GoJaskill said:
Hey, I didn't say anything about needing it to be cheap, I just don't have time to go out there.
How about a chartered LearJet then? :laughing1:

I Hit Things

Reaction score
strip them to shells, telescope them, pack em in between and all over with good packing stuff. have hardware put in box.

also you could have them packed normally and moved with a movign company or say PODS or such

mike17

Reaction score
Could someone explain to me how to "nest", or "telescope" two bass drums that are the same size?

dimag333

DFO Master
Reaction score
I Hit Things said:
strip them to shells, telescope them, pack em in between and all over with good packing stuff. have hardware put in box.
I had someone do this to me, I was pretty mad since he didnt warn me, but if your down it could be worth it

I Hit Things

Reaction score
mike17 said:
Could someone explain to me how to "nest", or "telescope" two bass drums that are the same size?
you would evenly split the various shells into the two same size kick shells to split up the weight between the two.

now, did you really need that explained or were you trying extra hard to be an jerk about my suggestion?

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
I once bought a nine-piece vintage Pearl fiberglass kit with all the hardware from someone in Chicago. I'm in the Denver area so shipping was my only option. The seller did not want to ship anything. I asked if he'd at least take them to a local UPS Store or FedEx-Kinko's and he did.

Once at UPS, the store manager called me with a total price for custom packing and shipping. I gave him a credit card number and five days later, four very well-packed boxes arrived at my house. All in perfect condition. I thought the price was reasonable considering all that was involved. Like you, GoJaskill, I didn't have the time or know anybody that could do all that for me.

The best thing with UPS packing everything is that if anything would have been damaged or missing, filing a claim and settling it quickly would be no problem. When it's packed by a third party, UPS will do everything they can to delay, or deny, your damage claim, should that problem arise.

The large shipping companies have storefronts all over, so finding one near you should be no problem. Good luck with getting your drums to you safely.

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The drums are in a suburb of Boston, and I'm in Minneapolis. Unfortunately the seller hasn't responded to any emails, leading me to think that they've either sold or the post is fake. But thanks for the good info anyway! Now I know.

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seller responded, doesn't want to ship. I asked if it would be ok for someone to pick them up for me and he hasn't responded to that. Bout to give up.

Today is a sad day.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't give up, maybe little patience is needed.
Why not to rent a van for a few days and transport by yourself?

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
snurf said:
Don't give up, maybe little patience is needed.
Why not to rent a van for a few days and transport by yourself?
I would actually do this, but I just started my dream job last week, and it wouldn't be the best idea to take a vacation right away. And I'll probably have to work this weekend, too. :help: