Best way to paint vintage bass drum hoop?

Sun shy

Reaction score
I'd like to repaint this bass drum hoop, but am wondering what the best way would be.

1. Remove the stripe in the middle, sand then paint.

or

2. Tape off one side, sand and paint. Then tape off other side and sand/paint.

Attachments

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would tape off the inlay strip then sand and paint. The green frog tape works well, keeps the paint from seeping onto the inlay.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like to take the inlay out. I lightly sand the entire thing (100/150/220) to get it smooth, and then I shoot it with matte (not glossy) black spray paint - 2-3 coats. It looks great every time.

If you note where and how your inlay affixes (typically with staples), it's super easy to reinstall, plus you can clean it up or better yet, glue it down......your call.....

Sun shy

Reaction score
Ugh. Tried to spray paint it today and the spray cap came off. I tried popping it back on and it sprayed all over the place and would not stop! I had to run to the dumpster and throw it in. My hands were pitch black with paint (my fault for not wearing gloves) and now my hands are burning from pouring acetate on them to get it off. Welp...I'm think I'm done "restoring" for the day! :dontknow:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow....what a horrible day! Been there, done that! Paint thinner and then warm water and dawn and a sponge works. Acetate sounds quite scary......

But, the real question - did you tape off the strips (and are they still BDP?) or did you remove them?

Sun shy

Reaction score
Yes, strips are BDP. I taped them off before I read your post about removing them. I saw the staples, but I felt like it was glued in. But might have just been really tightly stapled in. I like the idea of gluing it in. Cleaner to paint the whole hoop.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is the last set I did. They were in bad shape. The "inlay" is 1/2" silver sparkle vinyl tape.....I think it looks classy. 12/14/18 USA bop kit square badge from 1981-82 in black sparkle. The logo is a Gretsch guitar logo but I thought it looked cool......

20190520_215058.jpg
20190520_215058.jpg

Sun shy

Reaction score
Looks great! Good call on the matte finish. The can that blew up on me was glossy. I’ll do matte this time. Was going to do it today but the wind really picked up.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use lacquer in spray cans which is still readily available in black. The original paint on vintage hoops was lacquer. The new lacquer will "melt" into the original coat. It dries to the correct amount of semi gloss too. The only downside is that if anyone has re-painted the hoops previously and used enamel paint then the lacquer will probably eat into it and cause a wrinkle effect. You can spray enamel over lacquer but not lacquer over enamel. Not an issue if you sand them down first, only if you're going over the existing paint.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My hoops were bad to begin with. I sand it smooth and the matte paint covers everything. It's literally the $1.00 can at Home Depot - the generic brand they have in white or black gloss or matte. I didn't realize the rest of the pics didn't post:

20190520_215125.jpg
20190520_215539.jpg

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
I've had a number of my vintage BD hoops with inlays done, and my guy removes the inlay, sands, finishes, then places the inlay back in. I personally prefer it.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my method: Remove inlay if possible, sand to 320, use lacquer, not enamel, 2 lite coats, reapply inlay with contact cement...here's a link, scroll thru to the hoop pics on an old Kent kit, (they were toast as the b4 pics show), might help some...same process I used on a Slingy kit...

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JP...nice work, same methods, they're twins, same mounts, same rail, same color (except your's are Gretsch!!), wanna trade even up for some Kents?? LOL

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the inlay is still on the rim, I tape it off. Run my fingernail along the edges to seat them fully. Then use new razor along the edges to remove the extra tape. This seems to insure a clean edge if the inset is not 100 width match to the rim. I get paint right up to the insert edge in that case.