Best Way to Remove textured spray paint from inside of shell?

alexcwmetcalfe

Reaction score
About 6 year ago I restored an early 70s 3pc Ludwig pretty much from the ground up.

One thing I deliberately didn't tackle was removing this awful textured gray/black speckle spray paint that some genius decided was a great coating for the bass drum. Just the bass drum, not the toms. Madness! Needless to say, I now want it gone so I can hear the real maple ply dynamic of the shell.

My main questions are:
1. Anyone seen this kind of DIY finish inside Ludwig shells before?
(Side question, anyone know why people coated Ludwig shells in that stuff? Was it to make them sound more Gretsch-like?!)

2. Any suggestions on best method for removing it? I am thinking electric sander with very fine grit paper. My main concern with that approach is potentially sanding through the inner maple ply. Maybe a paint thinner is the better approach to avoid damage to the shell?

Can post photos if requested!

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum. Great place for any and all things drums and more. Great question, someone here on the forum will chime in. The interior finish you describe was called granitone. Pix are always a good thing.
Coy in Idaho

drumrman2002

Reaction score
I would probably avoid using any type of solvent like paint thinner, as that could soak into the veneer plies and possibly affect the glue holding the shell together. I think using an electric pad sander and fine grit paper would be a better alternative. Just don't press too hard (let the weight of the sander work) and take your time. Some areas will require hand sanding especially in areas close to reinforcement rings. As a safety measure, wear a dust mask when doing sanding jobs like this. Hope this helps.

alexcwmetcalfe

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Granitone is now off. I did leave some remnants of the stuff though, just underneath where lug washers go - nothing major
I used various grits of sandpaper using both an electric sander and a block. Started with rougher stuff and then worked up to 220 grit, just like furniture really! Worked great and the inner maple ply and rering are both is good shape.
Also of note - I left the inside natural with no new finish. My toms do have a clear coat, but i read online somewhere else that unfinished shell helps with some acoustic dampening. I'm gonna try that out for a while and see how it sounds. I realize this might take off some life from the shell or expose to some risks, but hopefully it stays relatively safe and sturdy for now!

Pics attached of before and after the granitone removal.

Attachments

Latest posts