Best worst excuses to buy gear?

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to poke fun at someone else’s thread (or buying habits because, seriously, who am I to judge?), but I just saw the one about buying a drum made on someone’s date of birth. My very first thought was, “Yeah, that seems like a pretty flimsy justification to spend money,” and then I immediately realized... I’ve done way worse, including:

-Buying a new kit in a purple diamond pearl wrap to commemorate the birth of my daughter (as I explained to my wife, “honey, in 8 or 10 years, what if she wants to learn to play drums? She needs her own kit, and she won’t want to play any of mine — they’re not pretty like these drums are!”)

-Buying a new kit from a country I’m going to visit this summer as an early souvenir

-Buying a snare drum from a country I visited 10 years ago... as a late souvenir

So, what are your best terrible excuses for buying more crap? (You know, just in case I need ideas for my next purchase...)

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a stomach ache and a new china cymbal will make me feel better
I sneezed so I bought a new stand
I had a stressful day at work so I needed a new kit

When you have GAS you just make stuff up. LOL

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly, I've not really used excuses to purchase gear. If I want something, I just pick it up. I've never had an issue with my wife. She supports my decisions. In 35 years of marriage, I can't recall her ever questioning me in this area. Quite the opposite ... she's usually moving money from various accounts into a custom drum account to make it easier for me.

Every four to ten years, I do a complete overhaul on my approach to the instrument.
I sell off my main gear and redefine my playing.
That means, a totally different main drum setup ... different sized toms, different positioning, different shell materials, etc.
Also, cymbals all get changed out.
I've maintained this practice since the mid-sixties.

I don't like getting too comfortable where art is concerned.
It keeps it fresh and very inspirational. I like the edge.

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I don’t use excuses. My wife knows there’s no difference between buying gear and wanting gear.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
1)Feeling insecure about the wifey and her ruling over your domain, and sideways getting her back by spending money on more gear you don't need.

2)Rationalizing that another piece of gear is going to somehow make you a better player, more creative, and more like the rockstar or (fill in blank) who plays similar gear.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
All the gear in the world won't make me a better player......I'll just SOUND better! It's the philosophy I've had since my high school golf team: "I'd rather look good and play bad, than look bad.....and play bad!" (I know, -LY)

These are great valid(?) reasons I use all the time: "I bet/think I can.....". "It's a good deal....". "I can always sell the ........"

Blisco

Reaction score
I play so many outdoor shows in the summer, I should get an acrylic or metal kit in case it rains.

I've been rained on too often and it stinks. I carry large plastic sheets to ALL outdoor gigs now. Even the semi-covered ones.

I will eventually justify either a Vistalite or Oriollo this way. Mark it down.

Ptrick

Reaction score
“Honey, I know I have a problem. But I’ve been thinking of switching the problem to drugs or women. What do you think?”

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I blame forums. ;)

I remember reading threads about how a particular snare drum sounded relative to another snare drum and thought, that doesn't make a lot of sense. So I'd buy two of the drums in question to hear the difference for myself. After a while I started buying snare drums to appease my own curiosity. I eventually ended up with thirty four snare drums. I did a major sell off and eventually had a manageable nine or so snares. Recently I came to the realization that the number of snare drums that I own has crept past twenty five again. Hmm. I'm not entirely sure how this happened this time.

Latest posts