Best worst excuses to buy gear?

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About 15 years ago, a friend of mine (another drummer) and I stopped by a local Guitar Center to check out that year's crop of Paiste prototypes. There were two cymbals - each basically the Sig Dark Dry ride - that caught my interest, one of them in particular. I was hemming and hawing about it when my friend said,

"If you don't buy it, I will."

For some reason that escapes me to this day, I found that to be a compelling argument. "Okay, I'll get it!"

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well as someone that has suffered from mental illness my whole life, I always used the excuse that buying one more thing will make me happier. Problem is, the happiness only lasts for a very short period of time, then you are right back needing something new again. Luckily since being on meds over the last few years, I have got a handle on it. I don't even really want anything new now. GAS seems to be a thing of the past. Hopefull it stays there. I find these sites are bad for making people feel like they need something they really don't. It is like being an alcoholic, and walking into a liquor store.

Maggot

Reaction score
I also do downhill skateboarding, where gear has the same amorphous relationship to what you can do with with it, but where you really feel it in bruising/lost skin or worse when you mess up. I realized that gear-mania is related to anxiety. "I need this, so I can do that." If I have one good setup to skate in, I'm safer and less distracted if I use it for everything, but the intoxicating thought that gear can solve your problems is never far away.

My other gear acquisition disease arises out of the fact that that there are three coolest things in the world, of which I could own every single one: Skate wheels, fuzz pedals and ride cymbals.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
A friend just sold his house and bought a new guitar for $3000+.

"Well," he said, "this is less than 1% of the profit I am getting."

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I blame forums. ;)

I remember reading threads about how a particular snare drum sounded relative to another snare drum and thought, that doesn't make a lot of sense. So I'd buy two of the drums in question to hear the difference for myself. After a while I started buying snare drums to appease my own curiosity. I eventually ended up with thirty four snare drums. I did a major sell off and eventually had a manageable nine or so snares. Recently I came to the realization that the number of snare drums that I own has crept past twenty five again. Hmm. I'm not entirely sure how this happened this time.
"for research purposes and I'll resell it when I'm finished with my analysis" is my phrasing.

+1 but for cymbal research not drums. I just bought a Paiste Traditionals 20" Medium Light Ride just to make a detailed comparison of that model with the 20" Medium Ride in terms of curvature, bell, lathing, taper, and hammering to try and pick what is different about the two models because the weight distributions overlap too much for the difference to be weight. My Medium Light is 6g heavier than my Medium, so about as close as any two cymbals can be. Yet somehow the Medium sounds a little darker and has a lower perceived pitch. But why? So far I know the bells use the same die (accurate contour gauge), but it seems like the hammering on the bell might be a little different. I haven't yet got a proper stand for my 12" deep throat micrometer so I'm waiting for that before getting into thickness measurements and taper. I've also got a 22" version of the Medium Light Ride (again bought just for a comparison) and it has a different bell die (a little larger) and a different mix of highs and lows (more high frequencies). This is all part of my new Cymbal Wiki project to restore the lost info from the Paiste-Only Wiki, add a new level of science sophistication to models relating physical characteristics to sonic characteristics, proper identification guides to production era and models, plus do it across the different brands.

That should keep me safe from finishing my analysis for many years to come. :glasses8:

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I was born on a Sunday in 1959. It would be very unlikely that I'd find anything built on my birthday. (If I were looking.) It is a fun idea though.
No harm in looking. And yes, there are Sunday date stamps according to an analysis of these I did with data supplied by KCDrumDad.

count day
431 Mon
401 Tue
375 Wed
430 Thu
444 Fri
140 Sat
56 Sun

Note that these represent what the date stamp was set to, not what day the drum was assembled, and possibly not the day the date stamp was actually applied.

For example, what day did April 41st fall on in 1958 anyway?

Latest posts