Best Zildjian ride?

Sammybear

Reaction score
Doesn't matter for what music genre or size, probably best all around Zildjian ride to cover all bases? I know this has been discussed before, but if anybody feels like weighing in, feel free.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Become your own expert.
Big fat old K. Or new K. Either way. around 22" . 2800-3000g entirely lathed hills, valleys, and mountains, across the surface, for around 11 side sticks. Can either ride straight down the middle or veer down side-stick lightning alleyways and back onto the main highway and back again.

A wolf in sheep's clothing in other words.

22" K Zildjian . In origin- Old country or New country- doesn't matter.
Happen to have that. I like every cymbal that way. From 14" to 22". Even 10".
That's my theme right there.
The ones without killer instinct, the boring placeholders- get used the least.

Last edited:

Sammybear

Reaction score
Doesn't matter for what music genre or size, probably best all around Zildjian ride to cover all bases? I know this has been discussed before, but if anybody feels like weighing in, feel free.
Thanks for the great input!
Might have to just dive into the old A's one of these days from what I'm hearing. Possibly a 60's or 70's A, small, large or Trans stamp(?), perhaps in the 2,000-2,100g weight range, warm with woody clear stick definition, nice wash and crashable in a $150 price range (a comment of mine from another thread).

Zildjian has the Joe Morello reissue, but the original sounds much better to my ears. Maybe in time the reissue will age in the same way.

Sammybear

Reaction score
Become your own expert.
Big fat old K. Or new K. Either way. around 22" . 2800-3000g entirely lathed hills, valleys, and mountains, across the surface, for around 11 side sticks. Can either ride straight down the middle or veer down side-stick lightning alleyways and back onto the main highway and back again.

A wolf in sheep's clothing in other words.

22" K Zildjian . In origin- Old country or New country- doesn't matter.
Happen to have that. I like every cymbal that way. From 14" to 22". Even 10".
That's my theme right there.
The ones without killer instinct, the boring placeholders- get used the least.
Thanks, JDA & all for great feedback! Interestingly I have just what you are describing in a 22" K Con Med...2,818g. It does all that you mention. It's a keeper. Unfortunately I did let a 22" K Con MTL (2200) go. I still lose sleep over that one. That was THE cymbal. I'm looking for a 20" partner for the 22 Medium and am considering a 20" Bounce, although I do have a 19" Kerope (1614g) that's pretty sweet. I am a Don Quixote chasing windmills. I have brought many, shiny new cymbals in (in the K Con, K, Kerope and Agop family) only to see them sail away. The others I currently have are an 18" K Sweet Crash, 14" New Beats & 15" K Light HH's, 16" Custom Session Crash and 10 Flash Splash. For some reason I just feel like I need a 20". Appreciate any 20" Bounce ride feedback out there. :cool:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Interestingly I have just what you are describing in a 22" K Con Med...2,818g. It does all that you mention. It's a keeper. Unfortunately I did let a 22" K Con MTL (2200) go. I still lose sleep over that one. That was THE cymbal. I'm looking for a 20" partner for the 22 Medium and am considering a 20" Bounce, although I do have a 19" Kerope (1614g) that's pretty sweet. I am a Don Quixote chasing windmills.
Yes. Sometimes in this circumstance when you have a "big fresh near new 22" K" ....... a smaller affordable (16" old K left) is all that's needed necessary/ .....I mean you already have the "Big beast Ready to rule Any stage" on the right side....

Rick

Reaction score
Thanks, JDA & all for great feedback! Interestingly I have just what you are describing in a 22" K Con Med...2,818g. It does all that you mention. It's a keeper.

I'm looking for a 20" partner for the 22 Medium and am considering a 20" Bounce, although I do have a 19" Kerope (1614g) that's pretty sweet.
What about a 20" K Con Medium? Too similar? That's what I have as my main ride (paired with a 20" K Con Light ride with 3 rivets) and I love it. If I had to pick just one ride cymbal to be my "go to" for everything, that K Con 20 Medium would be it.

On another note... what do you think about that 10" Flash Splash? That's what I've been using as a splash, but it seems a bit too bright and doesn't really seem to fit all that well with my other cymbals, which are all K Con's and K Custom Darks. I just bought a 10" K Custom Dark splash to try. Just brought the drums home from my regular gig (which is no more... at least for now... thanks to the stupid virus) and getting ready to set up and try out the new splash.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
I like the 20" and 22" A Medium rides (and A Custom if you're into that). Also a big fan of the 22" K ride.

deegeebee

Reaction score
Big fan of the 22" K Dark Medium. Has to be one of the best "all-arounders" out there. Both in terms of ability to tackle all styles and general consistency. Certainly a variety of weights out there, but not a ton of "dogs" compared with the vintage options (which I also love).

markkarj

Reaction score
I like my K Custom Dark 22". Not a very well defined ping, but it does a lot very well.

Browny

Reaction score
Older style/non-modern A or K

20" 1900-2100g
21" 2100-2300g
22" 2300-2500g

Sticks, tape & rivets/chain to suit...

Latest posts