Better Sizes or Better Kit?

drumfx

Reaction score
To be honest I haven’t played the Pork Pie so I don’t even know. I’m basing it off of wood material and price. The Pork Pie is cheaper and uses Poplar which I always associate with budget kits. I had a lil squealer snare drum that I didn’t like but that was also based on size. 12” is too small for a snare drum and I’m not an auxiliary snare kinda guy.
Poplar has been sandwiched between mahogany and maple plies for decades to build the most famous drums on the planet. Poplar gave the shells roundness and tone. Maybe Ludwig had it all wrong for 75 yrs + :3some:

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
Poplar has been sandwiched between mahogany and maple plies for decades to build the most famous drums on the planet. Poplar gave the shells roundness and tone. Maybe Ludwig had it all wrong for 75 yrs + :3some:
Whoa, I don’t know how to feel about those smileys.

I just associate Poplar with my first kit. CB drums. Fond memories but I wouldn’t like to return to it lol I plan on taking a listen to the Pork Pie when I can make it to the music go round they’re at but I imagine I’ll stick with the Renown. But who knows?

Thanks everyone for the replies...it’s given me some food for thought about my own predicament. I’m reassessing whether a slightly “better” kit is worth not having the big sizes I like.

NashvilleGull

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that sizes (i.e. tuning range) will be of more benefit than shell construction, materials, etc.
For instance, on a backline kit I'd rather show up and have the sizes I want rather than a high end kit with small sizes, which is what usually happens.
I've said before that head selection and tuning are where drum sounds come from- more so than high end exotic woods, 5 ply, 6 ply, whatever. Yes, better quality shells do sound better in high end studios with treated rooms and expensive mics. That said, most kits I hear in live situations aren't tuned to their full potential. Nothing worse than a nice new high end kit that isn't tuned well for the music or the room and just doesn't sound good.
Lots of guys however, can show up with an older/cheaper or lower range kit that sounds fantastic, everyone's standing around surprised "man, that guy's drums sound great!". I've seen it go both ways..
So, yeah I'd go for the sizes you want, find the sweet spots with your tuning and rock out.

emada

Reaction score
Sizes. I’d like to get 10x9, 12x11, and 14x13 like my now-burned Remo 516s were, but everyone is into “speed” / “right” sizes. I find the former full and infinitely more adjustable and the latter thin and narrow. Sure, one can play with head combos, but you can’t adjust size.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
If anyone cares....I haggled the price of the Pork Pie down a couple hundred and figure why not buy it and if I don’t like it, I’ll resell it. So now I’ll be giving these big sizes a test drive and I doubt I’ll be disappointed. Anyone looking for a Gretsch renown? Lol

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that's a good attitude. Try it you might like it. If you don't sell it.

Personally, I probably would have stayed with Gretsch, either buy a new set with the right sizes or look for a good used set of equal or better quality. I've never played a 24 or 26 bass but if you are playing Rock type music I don't see why your 22 is not good enough. Is the depth too short? I have a Ludwig late 80's 16x22 that will blow you away. It's maple/poplar/maple. And my new CM 14x20 is no slouch.

However, I do understand you wanting a 16" floor tom.

Let us know how you like the new kit. Maybe we all will learn something from this.

sherm

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If anyone cares....I haggled the price of the Pork Pie down a couple hundred and figure why not buy it and if I don’t like it, I’ll resell it. So now I’ll be giving these big sizes a test drive and I doubt I’ll be disappointed. Anyone looking for a Gretsch renown? Lol
I'm in Elkridge. How much, what wrap/color, do you have pictures and does Gretsch offer a 20" add on kick? I have a 7pc Catalina Maple and 3 pc Catalina Club right now, but I could use another Gretsch kit that isn't a Catalina.

Last edited: