Better strainer for Yamaha Rock Tour snare

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a matching 6x14 snare from Musicians Friend. It quickly became obvious that the strainer would cause me to hate the drum.
It would bind up often when trying to engage the snares, and no amount of lube or tweaking was working. Only did it once in awhile, but that was once to many.
I realize the Rock Tour line was not one of their top lines, but this strainer , an Indonesian made? copy of a Ludwig P-85, is not worthy of the Yamaha name.
Yamaha does have an almost identical looking strainer on some MIJ drums, but it is slightly different. It works. The Indonesian strainer has a black plastic adjusting knob as opposed to the better strainer with a chromed knob.
I searched for a good replacement, wanting to stay with a Yamaha strainer, but they are pricey.
Found a strainer that fits the original hole spacing perfectly, works well, and as a bonus it looks like it was made for the drum. It almost matches the lug design.
A Gibraltar Deluxe Classic Style strainer. It was less than $20 new. Works great, looks great.
I will attach pics of the offending strainer, and the drum with the Gibraltar strainer.
One last thing. The drums sounds very good, with lots of resonance. I am still experimenting with tunings. I do not have ability to take video right now.

Attachments

1up2dn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
that gibraltar does look good on there...hole spacing exactly the same huh?

i have the same drum, but the cheap strainer works great on mine so it stays....at least i know i can get the gibraltar if needed...

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Gibraltar's a good piece. I've used them before, and they're smooth and reliable.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hole spacing is the same. Hole diameter was slightly small, and had to be drilled, but not much.
I am sure that some will have no problem with their original strainer, but if you do, here is a good option.

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm going to try to replace the plastic tension adjuster on my RT snare before i replace the entire strainer. It works fine right now, but I'm not holding my breath. Good to know the Gibraltar is a quick fix-their throws are generally very good.