Beverley Cosmic 21 Snares

Jay_M

Reaction score
How close are the 10 lug COA 60s-70s Beverley snares to the Ludwig Supraphonic in sound? They're essentially the same in terms of lugs and shell composition, but I'm assuming they have their own character in some way or there are some subtle sound differences. Looking into buying one out of curiosity (and I don't own a Supra so it'll fill that void in my snare options), so anyone who's played one...feedback is appreciated.

Also, how likely am I to find one for sale in the US? Premier stuff pops up often, but Beverley not so much and the shipping from the UK is usually pretty steep.

Thanks.

baz1949

Reaction score
I have a couple these drums ....they were called Cosmic 21's because when they first came out they cost 21 pounds ($27) and they do have a remarkably close Supra sound....unfotunately they also have the flaking issues but not quite as bad as the 400's

Jay_M

Reaction score
Interesting! I'm looking to buy one sooner than later. Will keep an eye out. Thanks!

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Different edges and beds from the 400

the extra 1/2" in depth from the 5" Supra

center mount lugs = different torque distribution across the shell .

wider more pronounced center bead

aluminum in 400's differed from one production lot to the next .... who knows about the British equivalent ?

I owned and gigged a Cosmic 21 that belonged to Skip Prokop . Though it had its moments, it certainly wasn't a Supraphonic .

That many small discrepancies added up to a noticeably different drum . To me , anyway .

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

Definitely makes a cool Google search

Last edited by a moderator:

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I remember that Wm, F. Ludwig Jr. was in England back in the day, and he met with Fred Della Porta of Premier, and they discussed the shell of the alloy Supraphonic. Della Porta wanted to copy it.

That was Premier, but I assume that Beverly and most of the other British drum companies sourced their metal shells from the same place.

The pitting is to be expected. Chrome plating does not adhere well to aluminum.

Wm. F. Ludwig Jr. was all about saving money. That's why he changed the shells from brass to aluminum. He didn't think drummers would notice the difference in sound.

Fayray

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
I remember that Wm, F. Ludwig Jr. was in England back in the day, and he met with Fred Della Porta of Premier, and they discussed the shell of the alloy Supraphonic. Della Porta wanted to copy it.

That was Premier, but I assume that Beverly and most of the other British drum companies sourced their metal shells from the same place.

The pitting is to be expected. Chrome plating does not adhere well to aluminum.

Wm. F. Ludwig Jr. was all about saving money. That's why he changed the shells from brass to aluminum. He didn't think drummers would notice the difference in sound.
By this time Premier owned Beverley and Premier later produced their own version called the '35'. Same drum, different badge. In America the Premier 35 uses the Beverley 21 lugs as well. If there are sonic differences between the 400 and the 21/35 then they are too subtle for my ears. They were, after all, an unashamed copy of the 400

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't know about Beverly, but I had a 5x14 Pearl steel Sensitone Elite (10 tube lugs, die casts) that **really** sounded like a Supra......almost uncanny....

Jay_M

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm looking for a good all-purpose snare to gig with and these kind of piqued my interest. That said, if anyone has a Cosmic 21 for sale in the states (UK shipping = may as well buy a Supra), I'd be interested in checking it out.

Roosto

Reaction score
How close are the 10 lug COA 60s-70s Beverley snares to the Ludwig Supraphonic in sound? They're essentially the same in terms of lugs and shell composition, but I'm assuming they have their own character in some way or there are some subtle sound differences. Looking into buying one out of curiosity (and I don't own a Supra so it'll fill that void in my snare options), so anyone who's played one...feedback is appreciated.

Also, how likely am I to find one for sale in the US? Premier stuff pops up often, but Beverley not so much and the shipping from the UK is usually pretty steep.

Thanks.
I have the Ludwig Weather Master white coated medium on the Cosmic 21, WM clear medium on the snare side. I haven't tried other heads on the drum, I think about Ambassadors, I think about Evans Dry. What have you discovered works best on a Cosmic 21?

ToBBa

Reaction score
The cosmic 21 was made by premier for beverley. Prem and beverley was both owned by the della-portal family.
Premier later on adopted the 21 modell into their own range.
I have never had the chanse to compare the 21 to a supra side by side but i can tell you they are both magnificant drums.

If you haven't yet discoverd the drum history podcast you really should take a listen.
In this episode about the history of the Premier drum co, Mike Ellis talks about the 21, Ludwigs reaction to it and how aledgedly a Couple of container loads of blank metal snare shells left the prem factory in Leicester, destined for a certain drum company in Chicago.
Well worth a listen

Latest posts