Beware B/O BB 14x5 at GC

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buyer beware. The drum is out of round and was clearly dropped on the SS strainer (several times). I returned it and informed GC however they don’t seem to care. It’s not for me but will be for someone I’m sure. Be careful in the event someone attempts to flip this drum your way.
1624369689435.jpeg

Attachments

Ox Han

Reaction score
GC are also charging over $1k for a few used Ludwig club date SE kits released in 2012. They're made in Taiwan and I want one, but they were $800 new (maybe $899) and go on reverb for about $600-$700. I think the employees who bought them from customers thought they were USA made and paid more for them -

I checked one out in a shop and it doesn't say "made in Taiwan" anywhere. You would just have to be knowledgeable and I don't think the average drummer is hip

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 70s BB SS in the 5 inch depth does go for big bucks. Crazy or not, that is kind of the going price on those lately. They don’t seem to come around too often.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
How? And is a used one worth 150% the price of a new one? The only difference I am seeing between them is the super sensitive strainer system, which some people don't like.
There is little if any material difference between a "Chicago" BB and a "Monroe" BB other than badges - the sort of stuff that appeals to fetishistas . The shells for both a made and plated by an outside vendor (though I am unsure whether it's the same one today; regardless, they're made to the same specs). The main reason for the BB's higher price is an EPA regulation that limits the amount of (highly-toxic) black nickel plating that can be done (ergo, demand > inventory = higher price). Ludwig considered offshoring the operation to a country where environmental laws are lax, but instead chose to offer a new model called the "Black Magic", a moderately priced, Asian-made, black nickel plated drum.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
GC are also charging over $1k for a few used Ludwig club date SE kits released in 2012. They're made in Taiwan and I want one, but they were $800 new (maybe $899) and go on reverb for about $600-$700. I think the employees who bought them from customers thought they were USA made and paid more for them -

I checked one out in a shop and it doesn't say "made in Taiwan" anywhere. You would just have to be knowledgeable and I don't think the average drummer is hip
I checked out the one at the Richmond VA store. I mentioned that they were only about $800 new, but they didn’t seem interested in lowering the price. I’m guessing they over paid for them.

Ox Han

Reaction score
I checked out the one at the Richmond VA store. I mentioned that they were only about $800 new, but they didn’t seem interested in lowering the price. I’m guessing they over paid for them.
That’s the same GC I went to!
I also told them the same info and asked what they could do price wise. They didn’t even give me an offer and just wanted $1149 (price at the time)

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s the same GC I went to!
I also told them the same info and asked what they could do price wise. They didn’t even give me an offer and just wanted $1149 (price at the time)
Do you live in Richmond? We lived there for about 10 years, and then moved to NOVA last year. I still have a lot of clients in Richmond, so I still get to come down that way from time to time.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Do you live in Richmond? We lived there for about 10 years, and then moved to NOVA last year. I still have a lot of clients in Richmond, so I still get to come down that way from time to time.
I lived in Richmond for about 7 years. I moved overseas in 2008 and then back to VA a few years ago in the Shenandoah valley area. It's pretty damn country here. haha

I go to Richmond a few times a year

goodcat1337

Reaction score

I'm looking at those same ones. Trying to resist the temptation of way over paying just because I want one.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can imagine the scene:

Customer: "$1100 for the damaged snare, $1000 for the import Ludwig rockers....what kind of deal can you make if I take both?"

GC Staff: "How does $2500 sound to you? We'll throw in free fabric protection."

Not to pick on all GC staff, I'm sure there are some decent people in the system, but I'd have to say most of my odd experiences with used drums & cymbals have happened at GCs. And some of the staff did really seem to have been selling refrigerators or something else most recently. A sample of one, and analysis by anecdote, I know, not very reliable. My apologies to the good folks trying to do right at GC....

Ox Han

Reaction score
I'm looking at those same ones. Trying to resist the temptation of way over paying just because I want one.
Do you want downbeat sizes, or bop, or super classic? I ask b/c I've seen a few elsewhere I can link. But, once that link is on here the kit might sell fast to one of our fellow DFO lurkers

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I noticed those too. I might be interested in one at $500. I could have gotten a new one at $700 years back.
Part of it is Ludwig's fault for calling two different lines the same name - Club Date.
One USA made at a higher price, and the other an import at a lower price.
The imports were actually called Club Date SE, but I don't know if it says that on the badges.

Part of it also is if one GC person makes a mistake, and then more of the same thing is brought in,
they check their own price listings, so the mistake takes off and snow balls.

Four currently listed - two at $1019.99, one at $1049.99 and one at $1169.99

Last edited:

Ox Han

Reaction score
I noticed those too. I might be interested in one at $500. I could have gotten a new one at $700 years back.
Part of it is Ludwig's fault for calling two different lines the same name - Club Date.
One USA made at a higher price, and the other an import at a lower price.
The imports were actually called Club Date SE, but I don't know if it says that on the badges.

Part of it also is if one GC person makes a mistake, and then more of the same thing is brought in,
they check their own price listings, so the mistake takes off and snow balls.
It says club date se in an uncommon Ludwig badge, but not where it's made. Place of manufacture wasn't listed on/in the shell either. But i've only seen that one used kit in the RVA shop. Maybe the badge/sticker fell off? That's ok. I just happen to know this info from years of searching for kits and I happen to know how much they cost new and the average used price on reverb and elsewhere. The folks at GC were really nice, if that matters to anyone. They just didn't want to haggle. Perhaps b/c GC is bankrupt?

FWIW - I've never seen one of these sets sell as low as $500.

Ox Han

Reaction score