Beware of Fraudulent Sellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Dakabin Drums

Reaction score
Hi All

As a member of this group for a few years I want to share my tale so it doesn't happen to you!

I was very recently involved in a transaction issue with a "New Member" on this forum. They responded to a WTB post I made for a certain drum. After the usual string of backwards and forwards, including verifying product details, freight costs and seeing pics etc, I agreed to buy and transferred the agreed sum. It had been agreed that goods would be shipped by Fed Ex or USPS and that I would be notified of the tracking details next day.

However after making the transfer and notifying the alleged seller I had done so, this character asked me for additional identification (drivers licence ID, Insurance etc). At this point I began to smell a rat. The communication became a little more confusing. I also noticed that on nearly every subsequent message the ending was something along the lines "...I hope we can finalise this deal soon". Courtesy is one thing, but this has happened on the last half dozen messages. This also makes me think this is a scripted charade.

I contacted PayPal and opened a case resolution that I had concerns the alleged seller was fraudulent and had taken my money with no internet to ship anything. They closed the case within an hour of my lodging the claim. They did not ask to see any evidence nor did they address each of the concerns I have made clear in my claim about mu suspicions. Not one. Case firmly closed. So much for due process.

So it looks like your truly has been duped for a few hundred bucks. Now, I have a highly active BS radar that generally never failed me. until now....So be careful my friends.

I have bought and sold drums with members of our group and have never had an issue. This is a good group to part of but it is likely that there may be some dodgy operators in our midst.

I am not going to name this character - not yet - as I wait to see how the situation unfolds, but I am sure that I have been ripped off. I don't want to see it happen to anyone else.

Please, be careful with your transactions.

Best wishes
Dan

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you got scammed. I presume you have reported this person to the management of this site? What you have done so far is tarnish the reputation of every new member. This is not a good place to start, no matter how upset you are at how things have gone. Reporting this to the site owner and the moderators is the correct start. They can freeze his (or her) account.

Did you make a PayPal payment for goods? Or did you choose the "family and friends" option to avoid the fees? Those fees are partly where the money comes from to cover fraudulent purchases. If you used "family and friends" you have also tarnished the reputation of PayPal. Not that I'm a huge fan of PayPal customer service, but if you used "family and friends" that changes everything.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
that's awful,,,How recently did this happen ? i don't understand why on earth he would want your drivers license,, have you a phone no for him,, maybe a quick call to see what the story is,,, if the deal does go south name and shame for sure. I wonder why paypal closed the case ...............

Dan Dakabin Drums

Reaction score
S
that's awful,,,How recently did this happen ? i don't understand why on earth he would want your drivers license,, have you a phone no for him,, maybe a quick call to see what the story is,,, if the deal does go south name and shame for sure. I wonder why paypal closed the case ...............
This is still playing out.

you're right about the asking for personal details. Very odd.

PP claim that as far as they are concerned it was a valid transaction. There seems to be little or nor room to appeal their decision once they have decided on the outcome of a case resolution claim.

Dan Dakabin Drums

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you got scammed. I presume you have reported this person to the management of this site? What you have done so far is tarnish the reputation of every new member. This is not a good place to start, no matter how upset you are at how things have gone. Reporting this to the site owner and the moderators is the correct start. They can freeze his (or her) account.

Did you make a PayPal payment for goods? Or did you choose the "family and friends" option to avoid the fees? Those fees are partly where the money comes from to cover fraudulent purchases. If you used "family and friends" you have also tarnished the reputation of PayPal. Not that I'm a huge fan of PayPal customer service, but if you used "family and friends" that changes everything.
Good points... I guess I am a little riled over this. I am sure most people, new members included are good honest souls. This is a great community. PP could have more options to appeal. Thanks for giving me objective feedback though✌

My main point is simply to be careful....

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Still wondering if you specified "good & services" or "friends and family" on the PayPal transaction. It supposedly makes a huge difference. Not sure about this forum, but many have a hard rule of no "f&f" payments, period.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but my wife just got scammed buying a fish tank for our daughter. The tracking said it was delivered but we never got it. After investigating it we found it was delivered to our town but to a completely different street and number, also the package was 4 oz.

She opened a case but PayPal denied her. When she called PayPal said that their new policy only requires that a package be delivered to the Town and State specified, number, street and package weight are now irrelevant. Clearly this new policy is being exploited and my opinion was implemented be PayPal to limit their liability for mediating disputes.

Last edited:

tripp2k

Reaction score
My days using Paypal are coming to an end. Too much fraud/theft breaks everything it touches.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dan ... I did not see your answer. Did you pay as “family and friends” or did you pay as “merchandise purchased”?I would be very concerned that Paypal did not cover you is you used Paypal correctly as a normal merchandise purchased payment.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Dan ... I did not see your answer. Did you pay as “family and friends” or did you pay as “merchandise purchased”?I would be very concerned that Paypal did not cover you is you used Paypal correctly as a normal merchandise purchased payment.
The OP didn't answer either of my questions. So we don't know if he contacted DFO management to lock the account of the scammer, and we don't know if he used "family and friends". :dontknow:

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The OP didn't answer either of my questions. So we don't know if he contacted DFO management to lock the account of the scammer, and we don't know if he used "family and friends". :dontknow:
Aggravating huh ? A guy saunters in with a claim then leaves us hanging . Hhhhmppph !!

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And if you aren’t going to call the person out by name why even bother posting about it ???

TomPotti

Reaction score
Maybe he's busy playing the drum he ordered?

J/K...fraud sucks. Hope everything works out.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but my wife just got scammed buying a fish tank for our daughter. The tracking said it was delivered but we never got it. After investigating it we found it was delivered to our town but to a completely different street and number, also the package was 4 oz.

She opened a case but PayPal denied her. When she called PayPal said that their new policy only requires that a package be delivered to the Town and State specified, number, street and package weight are now irrelevant. Clearly this new policy is being exploited and my opinion was implemented be PayPal to limit their liability for mediating disputes.
Not saying it isn't true, but I find it hard to believe a seller can ship to an incorrect address and as long as it's in the correct town, the seller is not liable.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not saying it isn't true, but I find it hard to believe a seller can ship to an incorrect address and as long as it's in the correct town, the seller is not liable.
A lot depends on whether it was addressed incorrectly or it was delivered incorrectly. Ownership transfers when a package is delivered to a common carrier. So it it is delivered to the wrong address it is not the seller’s obligation and therefore not Paypal’s either. The buyer would have to sue the carrier for negligence.

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
I call bs
PayPal and/or your credit card will credit back any purchase made by a buyer if the seller cannot prove the item was delivered
Seller has to provide the shipper the track number and some form of proof of delivery
It’s happened to me a couple of times and I have had no problem with ever getting my account credited

friends and family without the fee is a whole new ballgame
Don’t ever use that when buying online via PayPal

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Which I will bet Dan did use “friends and family” and he’s too embarrassed to admit it. The scammer probably asked him to do that as a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.