Big Announcement from Noble and Cooley tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I wonder why they would specific the Union side and not just Civil War historically.....to not limit or offend their modern customer database? (Note, I am NOT trying to start any political issue, just sayin' I question the PR dept's odd choice of words). The focus thus would be on the impressive longevity of the company......since the Civil War times which in and of itself for a US drum co (or any US co.) is sweet.
Maybe the next line will be the Traitor series, built out of cottonwood.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the next line will be the Traitor series, built out of cottonwood.
The new line will feature heavy cast bronze snare drums made from "decommissioned" statues of southern civil war generals. 10% of the proceeds go to a reparations fund.

I'd buy one. Murat, pre-order one for me.

kallen49

Reaction score
First time I noticed Tulip trees was an almost 200 foot tall one at at Pinery Provincial park. The Pinery has the largest remaining “oak savannah” forest remaining in Ontario. Leaves are very memorable.

So not a rare wood but good for N&C for using a native wood to build what I’m sure will be special drums.
If I could afford to collect drums I’d go check out Murat’s kit when he gets it.

My friend Iain, who runs my local drum dept. (Burlington ON Long & McQuade), says they could barely keep up with demand in April and May. Sold more electronic kits than acoustic which makes sense under the circumstances. I know computer recording interfaces were all backordered.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
soft maple, hard maple, birds eye maple, sugar maple, etc,etc...Is tulip available with different quality types?

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is just one more incremental step in their re-birth in recent years. Their new business partner seems to be really helping them have a go at it and doing it in well thought out process:

I think its great, the rebirth of the Horizons and addition of the Walnut kits has been well received and they are fantastic drums. I first discovered the brand in the late 90s and was of course enamored due to my New England roots and pride. At the time there weren't many new kits around, I just remember Indoor Storm having some I would check out sound files from. The solid shells snares were of course a legend already and the Alloy Classic was popular, but kit was at the time I think it was just the CD maples, which no one seemed to care much for. I got my first (10/14/20) on eBay for $700 (Still have it, that bass drum is the best I've played) and in 2004 or so picked up a 8/10/12/14/16/22 for $1200. The latter was purple... but it was also custom designed by Bob Gatzen for the previous owner. Sold those once I found a matching 12 for my original kit.

Nothing but class from these guys, I wish them all the success.

You could crack a 36” Tulip round with one smart hit of a good maul.

Never seen another wood like it, incredibly light. Maybe like Basswood?

We used it for kindling, burns very quick.

For the life of me I can not understand any expansion of business right now. Who would think that this is a good time to roll out a new high end drum line?

Reactions: JDA

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could crack a 36” Tulip round with one smart hit of a good maul.

Never seen another wood like it, incredibly light. Maybe like Basswood?

We used it for kindling, burns very quick.

For the life of me I can not understand any expansion of business right now. Who would think that this is a good time to roll out a new high end drum line?
The American luan equivalent?

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big N&C fan, as well..I love my Horizon kit, and they are some of the best-sounding, and best-built drums I've ever owned, if not THE best. But....

I think American Tulipwood is basically a junk wood, right? As in....they make pallets, shipping crates, and kindling from it....? Easy to mold and work, but not a high-quality wood, right? The Brazilian stuff, from what I've read, is great....but the American stuff is about as cheap as it comes, right?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big N&C fan, as well..I love my Horizon kit, and they are some of the best-sounding, and best-built drums I've ever owned, if not THE best. But....

I think American Tulipwood is basically a junk wood, right? As in....they make pallets, shipping crates, and kindling from it....? Easy to mold and work, but not a high-quality wood, right? The Brazilian stuff, from what I've read, is great....but the American stuff is about as cheap as it comes, right?
You are wrong Tulipwood is not “junk” wood - it is a hardwood . If you have ever played a Tulipwood SS snare from N&C you will quickly realize this a kit a “junk wood” snare . They are some of the best snares N&C makes .

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are wrong Tulipwood is not “junk” wood - it is a hardwood . If you have ever played a Tulipwood SS snare from N&C you will quickly realize this a kit a “junk wood” snare . They are some of the best snares N&C makes .
OK, I'll take your word for it....I thought it was softer than Poplar. And, to me, Poplar is a "filler" ply.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Hardwood" is a biological classification, not an indicator of a wood's hardness.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe my next snare will most likely be a N&C SS 7x14 Tulip ... (and a doggone 4x14 SS Maple)
I am very interested in this wood. I've loved everything I've heard from it via N&C. Just slick sounding snares. And now ... a full freekin kit??? Are you kidding me? I am beyond stoked.
I currently run a very sweet Horizon kit with an SS 14x6 Walnut. Just amazing build quality.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Back on topic - am I the only one who thinks the tom mounts spoil the look of those lovely shells? There has to be a less obtrusive solution, no?

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back on topic - am I the only one who thinks the tom mounts spoil the look of those lovely shells? There has to be a less obtrusive solution, no?
That's a valid point about them, but they also make sense to me. This way the tension of the drum hanging isn't on the tension rods or the hoops, so when the drum is hanging it isn't going to be bent out of tune. It also makes changing heads less of a PITA vs. a normal RIMS mount.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fixed mine utilizing The Amazing Josh's Whiz Bang Chromey Mount INDe Thingy.

It has outstanding response and sustain and doesn't bounce all over the place.
I did an A/B on the two once I got one of them drilled and mounted.
In all honesty, Josh's felt and sounded better on the tom.
More importantly - NO GOOFY MOUNT THING COVERING UP THE SHELL AND BURNED BADGE!

IMG_7893.jpeg
IMG_6646.jpeg
IMG_6647.jpeg
IMG_6648.jpeg

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are optional - you don’t have to get the Center band mounts .

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more point. Wealth is relative. What most people consider wealth is not real. Money is worthless. Especially since they print money and can just come and take your possessions. True wealth can’t be cheapened or taken away from you. True wealth is truly difficult to find and obtain. I am still looking for it. Tomorrow we could all lose everything for a very large number of reasons. I don’t care if you all agree or believe me about this. None of your opinions matter to me anyway. I just observe and react.
Time to take your meds pal.

I made a simple statement meant to be funny, but your panties are way to tight to notice. If our opinions don’t matter to you, than go away, I don’t think anyone will notice...:binky:

Status
Not open for further replies.